Does all haze settle out?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seanppp

Reaction score
I was talking to a pro brewer the other day and he said that all haze settles out with enough time (and cold temps). Is this true? I've read about "permanent haze", polyphenol haze, etc, and I got the impression that permanent haze is in fact permanent and unlike yeast haze it will never go away. Does anyone have any science that can confirm or deny the notion?

And what about the form of haze defined as "chill haze"? How would chilling (or time) get rid of a haze that is caused by chilling?

Yes, there's lots of science that goes with haze formation and precipitation. It obviously has to do with things like size of the haze particles and their density (obviously something suspended in beer which is of the same density will never settle) but also on their isoelectric pH (the pH at which the net charge is neutral) of the particles relative to the beer. Unfortunately, what you friend told you is true isn't. Some types of haze do precipitate over time with low temperature. Others don't.

AJ, thanks for the reply. Could you tell me which types of haze never settle? I'd be interested in the chemistry of those hazes.

AJ, thanks for the reply. Could you tell me which types of haze never settle? I'd be interested in the chemistry of those hazes.
The one time it happened to me was the one time I didn't do a protein rest as I was trying to do two beers in one day. The particles certainly looked like little globs of protein to me but maybe that conclusion was based on confirmation bias. All I can offer about the chemistry is that if the pH of the beer was at other than the isoelectric pH of those proteins they would have a net charge on them and this not agglutinate because of repulsion.

There are volumes written about the properties of hazes in the literature. Charles Bamforth, long term friend to home brewers, has done lots on hazes. You can start here [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpSudGRTkeU[/ame]

Back