Does a change in the diameter of beerline matter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buckskin76

Reaction score
Hi

I currently have a kegerator which is setup for 3/8 beerline. I want to convert to 3/16 to get a better pour.

The trouble is that the metal shank, which is about a foot long, is 3/8. Does it matter if I have 10 foot of 3/16 which is then connected to a 3/8 shank? Will this effect the pour in any way?

Hi,

I use the following setup:

KEG_with_3/8"->JG3/8_TO_3/16"->About_8_feet_3/16"_line ->JG3/16"_TO_3/8"->Tap

It works great for me.

Thanks for the quick response.

The shank is about 1'6". basically extending from the tap to just below the tower. Is this long enough to cause foaming?

The flow rate will be set by the smaller line going into the shank. At the shank the beer will expand to fill the larger diameter and will flow at a slower pace. It should not cause foaming

"well, actually"...the pressure drop at the small-to-large transition could cause some CO2 break-out...

Cheers!

I looked up the pressure for a sudden change in diameter from 3/16" to 3/8" line in Cameron Hydraulic Data .... didn't write it down but it was something like 3/4' of 3/16" line. I could be making a large assumption but I figure that's not a large pressure differential over the space.

Back