Dodged a bullet during cooling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tg123

Reaction score
I think I might've dodged a bullet. I built a CFC and tested it with boiling water. It worked great. Too good actually. The boiling water came out too cold during the test. I also had trouble getting the water to flow because I hooked stupidly hooked it up in a way that the water and to fight gravity and go up the chiller.

So to fix that issue with flow, I decided during my actual brew, to hook the inlet to the other side. However, I forgot to switch the hose. :smack:
I was stumped for awhile why the wort was coming out much warmer than during the test, where I had to almost shut off the water to get the right temp. I was blasting the water during the wort transfer and closed the ball valve a bit.

About 3/4 of the way through, I realized my mistake. :eek:
At that point it was too late to remove it, but luckily the thermometer was reading around 72F by the end. The fermometer on the carboy was reading around 78F but I trust the thermometer more since it was inside the wort.

Anyways, pitched the yeast. Hopefully all is well. Note to self: fix the CFC.

By the way. How do you guys recommend I re-use the yeast for the second brew? I had a really old kit from a year ago but tossed the liquid yeast because it didn't smell too good.
Should I transfer the first batch to a secondary and use the yeast cake from the bottom of the primary? Irish Ale Yeast

Thanks in advance

Yes you can transfer one out and pour the next on top of the yeast cake.What beers are they?The yeast may not be ideal for the second brew but it will still ferment.

I have an Irish Red in primary right now and when it is done I want to do a ten gallon batch of https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f65/irish-red-1st-place-hbt-comp-141086/ and pitch on the slurry.Hopefully everything works out so I can.

Cool. Goodluck with that and thanks for the advice on pitching right on top. I also read somewhere that I should definitely taste the first batch first to make sure there aren't any funny flavors before I pitch the next one on top. great point that I completely didn't think about.
:mug:

Back