Do you turn your glycol chiller off between brews?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob2010SS

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
We usually always have something in the tank but on a rare occasion, we go 2-3 weeks before brewing again. Would you shut the glycol chiller off for that period or just leave it on and let it keep the glycol solution cold for when you’re ready?

Part of me thinks it makes sense to shut it off but then again, if you shut it off, when you go to use it again, it’s going to have to run for a long time to chill that glycol down again anyway. Not sure what’s best…

I do have a quick question about a penguin 1/2 hp glycol chiller - Just setting mine up and wanted to ask

Will the cooling coil inside the chiller ice over when running at 28 degrees and if it does, I'm guessing I need to add more glycol?

AND
Can you use normal tap water, or should I use distilled water?

I do have a quick question about a penguin 1/2 hp glycol chiller - Just setting mine up and wanted to ask

Will the cooling coil inside the chiller ice over when running at 28 degrees and if it does, I'm guessing I need to add more glycol?

AND
Can you use normal tap water, or should I use distilled water?

Distilled

Ive heard ur supposed to leave it on because the glycol will grow mold if it doesnt recirculate. So I have a couple pumps with loops on it and run the periodically.

Latest posts

Back