Do You Guys Have Beer Daily, Or Am I A Drunk ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Part of it is also working a full time job where I sit at a desk all day, then sit at desk all evening. I'm the type of person that will put on weight just looking at food let alone consuming the empty calories of 1 - 2 beers a night.

Mine depends on my Freediving, if I'm going to do a big dive day; I won't have more than one beer the night before. I have to prepare my liver for that next day of drinking a beer per YT and a Celebration beer for a good day all together. Normally I have a beer when I get home, take the girls on their bike ride, one with dinner, and possibly another one if my Gold Rush is on, but they are also spread out so my liver ain't overloaded either since it's important how fast you drink those beers apart.

Nice, a fellow freediver/spearfishermen I see. I dive the northeast - stripers, tautog, bluefish, etc etc.

just admit you are a drunk and join the club

LOL

I can think of some very respected people now, and through out history that had a drink everyday. SO WHAT

Part of it is also working a full time job where I sit at a desk all day, then sit at desk all evening. I'm the type of person that will put on weight just looking at food let alone consuming the empty calories of 1 - 2 beers a night.

Okay, well, that's just crappy. I really don't think beer needs to be viewed as empty calories if it's something you truly get enjoyment out of. It's not like those 1 to 2 beers are being drank mindlessly like pounding commercial light lager, one after another. It's not empty calories if you truly enjoy it. Sure, you could do with out it, but we could do without A LOT of things we consume. So, I guess that's your prerogative, and if you still enjoy homebrewing, even without drinking hardly any beer, then do it up! After all, we're in this hobby for...well, because we like to drink beer, right? Right.

Okay, well, that's just crappy. I really don't think beer needs to be viewed as empty calories if it's something you truly get enjoyment out of. It's not like those 1 to 2 beers are being drank mindlessly like pounding commercial light lager, one after another. It's not empty calories if you truly enjoy it. Sure, you could do with out it, but we could do without A LOT of things we consume. So, I guess that's your prerogative, and if you still enjoy homebrewing, even without drinking hardly any beer, then do it up! After all, we're in this hobby for...well, because we like to drink beer, right? Right.

Agreed very much so

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Home Brew mobile app

Yep, so far, I've not been bothered with weight gain, but if you let it get out of control, you can put on the pounds very easily by not using your head, then you could have health issues. Good for you!

I think a nutritionist might disagree with you on the empty calories, but I agree that there is definitely a great feeling to enjoy the beer that you, yourself brewed. I also like being able to fit into my pants though! Homebrewing is a great hobby and one that I love, but I can't have a beer or two every night without making a lifestyle change, and those can be difficult to maintain. I'll still have a few over the weekend, but I end up giving a lot away to friends and family to enjoy. It makes me happy that they enjoy it so much. I'll also enter competitions so there's a competitive drive to improve from brew to brew.

I make it a point to take at least a couple of days off a week from drinking. And usually this isn't something I have to make myself do, as I don't feel like drinking every night. I usually drink about 4-5 nights a week. If it's a weeknight, I'll have 1-2 beers. On a Friday and Saturday, I might have up to five beers in a night, or maybe none at all. These are 5ish% beers. If I ever get to the point of wanting to drink every night, I'll cut back or stop. I love beer, but I don't ever want to let the drink control me.

I think a nutritionist might disagree with you on the empty calories.

I think most nutritionists think of fizzy yellow when they talk beer. Unpasteurized, living beer is a bit different since yeast is pretty good for you. Also beer is good for your heart, your bones, and your mind. Hops is chock full of antioxidants and may prevent hormone based cancers in men and women.

What's empty about all of that?

Remember when nutritionists said butter was bad for you and margarine was good?

I have a 10 year old boy still at home, so I make it a point NOT to drink everyday. In fact, I rarely drink during the week...if I do it is usually 1 with supper and that's it.
The weekends are a different story, especially when it's warm outside. I love sitting next to the pellet grill drinking beer, and lots of it.

"Kids will pay closer attention to your example than your advice" is the common saying. So, I hope by brewing, refraining from the daily drink, not going to bars, staying home and not driving drunk gets drilled in to his head.
Or am I totally off base on this?

I have a 10 year old boy still at home, so I make it a point NOT to drink everyday. In fact, I rarely drink during the week...if I do it is usually 1 with supper and that's it.
The weekends are a different story, especially when it's warm outside. I love sitting next to the pellet grill drinking beer, and lots of it.

"Kids will pay closer attention to your example than your advice" is the common saying. So, I hope by brewing, refraining from the daily drink, not going to bars, staying home and not driving drunk gets drilled in to his head.

I think that kids into there teens are going to respond more to their friends then your habits. That said I believe that "IF" you did drink daily 1-3 over the whole course of an evening 3-8 hours is better then a BINGE style of drinking.
When children are around us I will not let anyone get hammered but if your drinking from a glass most kids don't pay enough attention to it's level, unless you make a point of it.

I think a nutritionist might disagree with you on the empty calories.

By definition are those that are NOT burned up but stored as fat. I always laugh at the guys who call it a "beer belly" when they drink beer and chase them with a bag of chips, dip, salsa, followed by dinner or vise-verso.
35+ years ago when I boxed and wrestled dropping weight was a normal thing so we had to talk to a dietitian. Her take was "You can't make a building without bricks the less amount of bricks the smaller the building."if you take on 1000 calories you need to burn 1000 to stay at the same weight. I am, super active I intake on average 3200 per day and have stayed at the same weight for the last 20 years. My body weight/height from HS vs. what they use today is 18lbs heaver and they wonder why close to half the population is obese :confused:

I have often wondered the same thing. My work has me working with many folks who struggle with alcoholism so it's something that I think about a lot. I try and stick with only two craft beers a night with an occasional splurge of a third. What I've found to be really satisfying is having a couple of folks over together who love craft beer and split several beers between us. I really enjoy sharing and trying new beers and that helps to try several without getting out of control.

It's tough with craft beers though as they range from session beers to up in the teens. So not all beers are created equal! A friend of mine was asking the same question and he decided to take a break for a month. As long as you know you can stop/aren't dependent and your health is good to go cheers!

I think that kids into there teens are going to respond more to their friends then your habits.

While I agree with your point to a degree I think that the example parents set and the relationship with their kids greatly affects the degree to which the teens (or older) are influenced. IMO parents who aren't engaged or approachable tend to raise kids who are looking for somewhere else to belong. Those kids will be a lot more inclined to copy bad behavior in order to fit in than are the kids who have a secure home base. In my experiences growing up in the 60s & 70s the unapproachable parents with wild kids always seemed to be the more well-to-do families.

I drink 0 - 2 beers a day most week days, up to 4 or 5 a day sometimes on weekends. Sometimes I go several days or a week or two without drinking, not to save my liver or maintain weight, just not interested in having a beer. Homebrew seems to put me in a happy, positive mood and helps make whatever I'm doing more enjoyable. I don't get quite the same thing from any store bought beer, don't know why.

No your not off very good moral. I have 6 kids and I do drink one or two a day but never get "drunk" in front of them after they are in bed I might if we have a special occasion but I too try to set a decent example

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Home Brew mobile app

Yes, elevated liver enzymes, once I cut back to 4 daily they went back to normal. But of course over time I blew it, went back to old habits and screwed them up again. It just looks like I'm gonna be one of those people to limit my intake, try to stick with 2-3 a day. Which is fine with me, it beats 0....:beard:

If you're needing liver tests to watch your health and still consuming more than your doctor recommends, then yes, you have a problem. It it's a disservice to yourself to come here looking for answers that you hope will support what you want rather than what is right for you. You already know the answers to all your questions. If your needing periodic liver tests I am sure your doctor would prefer for you to stop drinking all together. but you already know that, don't you?

There is some backyard research in these forums on non alcohol brewing. People are having very good results. Is that of any interest to you?

If not then you can say definitively that you are looking for a buzz, not a tasty beverage. But do you really need a test to figure out what you're really wanting?

I'm not being an a hole here. I've worked through some alcohol abuse issues and came out the other side a responsible drinker. I could only accomplish this by asking the right questions and being brutally honest with myself.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Home Brew mobile app

I think ya got er nailed and are setting a good example for your young one. Smart, very smart!

I think that kids into there teens are going to respond more to their friends then your habits. That said I believe that "IF" you did drink daily 1-3 over the whole course of an evening 3-8 hours is better then a BINGE style of drinking.

I find it amusing, that no matter how much, or how little you drink, there is a label for what "type" of drinker you are... and it's usually a negative label at that.
So, I'm a "binge" drinker, you hide your habits from your kids(signs of an alcoholic) , beer with a buddy equals "social" drinker, daily beer equals "moderate to heavy" drinker....yadda, yadda, yadda.

I wonder what the labels are for milk drinkers?

I find it amusing, that no matter how much, or how little you drink, there is a label for what "type" of drinker you are... and it's usually a negative label at that.
So, I'm a "binge" drinker, you hide your habits from your kids(signs of an alcoholic) , beer with a buddy equals "social" drinker, daily beer equals "moderate to heavy" drinker....yadda, yadda, yadda.

I wonder what the labels are for milk drinkers?

Didn't say you were a binge drinker that is what the "label" is for someone whom waits til the end of a week and pounds them. That is what you said you were teaching your child by example.

Personally, I don't judge anyone, if you think that your style of drinking or lack of works for you and is teaching a good habit to your child I'm glad for you.
By social advocates "ANYONE" that consumes more then 1-2 a day or 5 or more over a weekend is an alcoholic. So I am by the blah blah blah community who are made up of over weight, self-righteous, a$$hats

I drink as I will I don't hide it or get hammered drunk nor does it ever interfere with work or time with my family.

Lot of good responses on here, haven't read each on yet, but here is my take. Probably 2-4 beers a week is best for the average healthy person and I stress healthy, the average person is not healthy. If your abstinent from alcohol, obese and even overweight its almost as bad as being an alcoholic or smoker or worse both. So it depends. 2-6 beers everyday for me is not a good thing. Ideally I should drink that a week-Im workin on it.:) Right now its 1-3. ( I eat very healthy and my weight is pretty good and exercise 5 days at least a week somehow between an hour or two after work/weekends. Homebrewing really got me into drinking more also exploring craft beer,so Im just an enthusiast. I used to drink more socially like a few+ times a month to get drunk in my younger years but dindnt have a few daily regularly like I do now. I don't believe I should have it every day though and really should have only one or two if I do and maybe ocassionally a few more than that. I just don't get hammered/wasted. Plus I feel pretty awesome if not having any beer or a beer or two the night before,having refreshing sleep the next day.

I agree with the pop drinking too,not to do it,its worthless besides a caffeen buzz. At least with a little coffee there is some health benefit to it. If your drinking both pop/or just eating poorly and more than a few beers your most likely just gaining weight and in turn bad health.
You could also be a person that doesn't drink or only has a few a week,doesnt drink pop exercises regular with good weight but eats a lot of processed bad food and could still be in the same boat as someone who drinks and smokes or is overweight/obese.

I eat great mostly but I do like to go get a piece of pizza or donut every week or ice cream,ocassionally fast food etc.., if your consitant and regular about being conscience about your health then you have control and can know your limits. There have also been studys on brains of people who drank and not drank like a sixer everyday, the results are interesting and proof of health associated with a habbit like that.

I agree that it isn't the beer that makes "beer bellies" it's all the excess carbs that put the weight on people, pizza, chips and the other empty calories. Carbohydrates that aren't being burned up get stored as triglycerides. The body can only processes so many, X amount. A terrible disease known as fatty liver will eventually destroy the function of the liver, or alcohol abuse will also damage the liver. Cirrhosis of the liver can also shorten a persons life. Insulin resistance can also put weight on a person. The body starts to create more insulin than it should be, and since the needed receptors are blocked, the body turns it into fat as no other option at that time is available, but after being overstressed for too long, the pancreas will stop the body's production of insulin, generally causing diabetes. Just my $0.02.

Back