Do You Guys Have Beer Daily, Or Am I A Drunk ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Weekend Warrior myself. I usually have 4 on Friday and Saturday evenings. Nothing during the week.

I would not say this is over doing it. Weekend warriors are usually the ones that don't drink all week and get wasted on Fridays and Saturdays. Unless you're a super lightweight, I doubt you're getting wasted off 4 beers. Unless, of course, they're all Hopslams or something.

Me, personally, I drink 2 or 3 beers a day and more on weekends, typically. But lately, I've been working on not drink as much on the weekends. I just don't like being hungover, so it's evening out, I think. Plus, I like to get up early and brew on weekends, so getting hammered isn't conducive to keeping to that. Unless I'm out at a friend's for a firepit or whatnot, I don't usually drink a ton anymore on weekends. There are occasions though.........

I usually drink one to two beers a night. Some nights I have none and some nights I have more. "Untappd" has really got my numbers up over the past 8 months...lol. I think the amount you drink has nothing to do with whether you are an alcoholic or not. My understanding is that it is the amount you can't STOP drinking. I gave up booze last year for lent to test myself and it wasn't easy but it wasn't as hard as I thought it would be either.

I drink three to four every day, sometimes more on weekends. But I think I've only been drunk once or twice in the last ten years, maybe ten times in thirty years. I'm retired, so I can have a beer with lunch, one in the afternoon, one or two with dinner. I'm not the least bit worried about it. I'm also 6'5" and 245lbs, so I can absorb a little alcohol.

Any way to add a poll to this thread? It would be interesting for seeing the distribution of HBTers' drinking habits. I've wondered the same thing as I have a buddy who drinks a few homebrews every night.

I don't drink every night. I typically have a beer on one or two weeknights and then 2-3 on Friday and Saturday nights (double that if I'm camping :) ). That works pretty well for me.

Personally, as i can only speak from personal experience

I have 2 or 3 beers everyday - between 6pm and 10 pm - at home
No matter the day - Monday or Saturday.

I love the taste of craft beer - I like the tates of my beer ( my friends drink more of my beer than i do )

I do like the slightly buzzed feeling of 3 8% beers, not gonna lie.:mug:

I do NOT like the spinning feeling of the 4th or 5th beer gets me:cross:
So I stop drinking before the 'spinning' begins, and on an empty stomach, that might be beer #2. I must remember to eat first !:drunk:

While some people might say that I am getting "My Drink On" - every day....
I can not remember the last time I got 'drunk' and had a hang over, or got sick, or made an ass of myself in front of freinds or family.

Leagally I should not be driving in the State of Michigan after 2 beers in an hour. ( based on my wieght/height amount to get me to leagal limit )

Health wise, my doctor says I should be watching the amount of calories more than the ABV of the beers I am having.

Home Brew tends to be much higher in caloric intake than the fizzy yellow stuff than the general public drinks.

What is the calorie count on a Bottle of New Holland Dragons Milk - Barrel Aged Stout
What is the calorie count on Bud Light ?

My Doctor was more worried about me getting fat vs being a drunk.

:mug:

Cheers

I find that if I go to the gym in a night I'll be down to one or two, if it's a cold crappy night that might go up to four or five. But generally I just try not to get drunk as a rule

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Home Brew mobile app

I would not say this is over doing it. Weekend warriors are usually the ones that don't drink all week and get wasted on Fridays and Saturdays. Unless you're a super lightweight, I doubt you're getting wasted off 4 beers. Unless, of course, they're all Hopslams or something.

Me, personally, I drink 2 or 3 beers a day and more on weekends, typically. But lately, I've been working on not drink as much on the weekends. I just don't like being hungover, so it's evening out, I think. Plus, I like to get up early and brew on weekends, so getting hammered isn't conducive to keeping to that. Unless I'm out at a friend's for a firepit or whatnot, I don't usually drink a ton anymore on weekends. There are occasions though.........

I'm in the same boat, a couple daily, a couple more on weekends. So some of us do a little more R&D than others to perfect our craft! I think it's safe to say we all enjoy a "little buzz" or we would not have gotten into this hobby in the first place. You should enjoy the fruits of your labor on occasion. IMO, if you're responsible & safe, there isn't a damn thing wrong with it. Don't let anybody tell you differently! :mug:

Agreed, FB12. I think the most important thing is responsibility. I do most of my drinking at home. I might have a couple ounce sample or 4 or 5 pints depending on what's going on and how I'm feeling. But generally, I try to keep it to 2 pints, just to save on calories. I've started brewing lower gravity beers between 4 to 6% so I can drink more without getting wasted.
I'm going to get up really early and brew tomorrow morning, so I don't think I'll have much tonight.

I'll go in weird cycles where I may go a few months without having any beer/alcohol then one day I'll decide to get some beer and I'll have one with dinner and then mayber 2-3 more that night, then go a few days and have a couple more. I do typically drink more beer during the summer sitting outside around the fire pit with friends and family on weekends but its typically stained water from a can, which will end up turning into a 12+ beer night. I do thoroughly enjoy coming in from a long hot day putting up hay in the barn and sitting in the AC or jumping straight into the pool and having a few cold beers to relax from the day. When I was under way on a WMEC and pulling in for port calls after being under way for 30days straight it'd always turn into getting "smashed" or a "bender" for the entire time for the port call 2-3 days. Glad those days are over.

I have a 3 week on 3 week off drinking schedule due to my work, so I feel like I need to make up for lost time, although that may mean having 3 beers instead of 2. Higher gravity beers make the math more difficult.

However, my other hobby is running and that helps keep me honest. Also, running relaxes me so it is a shorter trip beer-wise to get the mellow slightly buzzed state.

How else will you get through 3 kegs on tap if you don't have at least 1 a day??

That's true. I can't stand having a beer on tap for more than about a month. There's just too much to brew to have beer lasting that long.

I'm a big dude (6'-5" 250lbs) and I would like to have several beers a day. But we love to cook and eat well, so coupling that with beer is probably more calories and carbs than I need daily.

So I only drink on Fridays, Saturdays, and the occasional Sunday or Thursday. Or Mondays/Wednesday if a basketball game is on ;) :tank:

Seriously though, I only try to drink 2 or 3 nights a week, and usually 2 pints each time.

I drink 4 craft beers a day maybe 5. Also drink 2 millers in between for my "hop break" if doing x2ipa. I do a lot of music stuff so I tend to drink to keep me going. I also drink scotch here and there. I come from generations of heavy drinkers. How else are you going to know all the styles of the world if you don't drink? Also, doing the smash recipes really works with knowing hops. I'm on Simcoe and Bravo right now.

I too enjoy a few pints every night. Sometimes I have a few more, and some days I don't drink any. I can agree that it is my passion as well as my hobby.

Has anyone thought about taking Milk Thistle? It's a supplement used for liver protection. I've read about it but I feel like this would be community to ask if they had any experience with it.

I personally drink more in the summer myself I just enjoy good cold beer I am 6'5 and 215 pounds so I can drink three beers and its no different than drinking a non alcoholic beverage I just like beer. I just ordered my first home brewing kit and can't wait for it to arrive I plan on only drinking what I make from now on. I think it is going to be a great hobby as long as you don't drink until you can't stand up on a regular I think It's up to the person how much they consume.

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Home Brew mobile app

That's true. I can't stand having a beer on tap for more than about a month. There's just too much to brew to have beer lasting that long.

Dealing with this "problem ;) " right now. I have an Amarillo pale ale and Weizenbock on top. I'm getting bored with both and know I have a Munich/Cascade IPA I'm dying to try and a HUGE oak aged Golden Strong ale 11.4% both kegged and ready to roll. So, I've switched from using one of my usual 12oz glasses to my big ass Pilsner Urquell glasses just to put a bigger dent. I also have a German Pils that's ready to keg and none free.

These really are first world home brewer problems :mug:

Dealing with this "problem ;) " right now. I have an Amarillo pale ale and Weizenbock on top. I'm getting bored with both and know I have a Munich/Cascade IPA I'm dying to try and a HUGE oak aged Golden Strong ale 11.4% both kegged and ready to roll. So, I've switched from using one of my usual 12oz glasses to my big ass Pilsner Urquell glasses just to put a bigger dent. I also have a German Pils that's ready to keg and none free.

These really are first world home brewer problems :mug:

Yeah they are...

I've actually got an oatmeal stout that isn't very good about ready right now. Something went wrong with it. But it's not undrinkable. I'm thinking about dumping it just because it's going to take forever to drink and what difference does it make...I suppose I could bottle it all off the keg.
Since I brew 4 gallon batches, the beer goes a little quicker. I've thought about going smaller, but I'm comfortable with my process right now. I've actually taken to brewing half batches (2 gallons) that get bottled. Makes for a quick weeknight brew session. Love coming home from work and brewing. It's a great way to spend an evening after a hard day sitting on my ass at the office. :rockin:

Weekend Warrior myself. I usually have 4 on Friday and Saturday evenings. Nothing during the week.

This is usually how I drink with the addition of Sunday afternoon. On occasion if a friend stops by during the week I may have a few pints, but that doesn't happen very often.

I bought 2 variety 12 packs on Monday of this week I have 6 left and only had 2 on Tuesday. I have a beer every day. B12 is good for you and I don't like Vitamins.

Usually a small glass with dinner, occasionally an after dinner one afterwards. More on the weekends or with family and friends. But no problem going a few days without one, I like beer.

There is no better place on the entire internet to talk about this than here at homebrewtalk. IMO ??

I love beer ! I love our hobby, I love the junk we put together, I love to read about beer, discuss beer, I love the possibility that one day I too will create a masterpiece in a bottle.

With that being said, The CDC and everyone else has set limits. 2 a day for guys, only 1 for women (Poor Yooper)... :)

Now, with craft beers like ours, or others like Sierra that average 5-6% ABV, some I've seen on shelves hit 7%. Is 2 per day still ok ?

Many years ago (until I grew a brain) I would drink 12 Bud lites in one evening, weak p*ss in a can. My doctor didn't like that! Neither did my liver, so after adjusting to 1/2 of that, my liver test thanked me. :)

Now, my routine is two "good" Craft brews nightly, and two of my lite 3% Homebrew Session beer.......

Still too much ?.........What do you guys think ??... What do you guys do ??

Can't speak for anyone else but at age 72 a 16oz homebrew beer in a flip top bottle will normally last me 2-3 days. If I'm with company I will up that to 1 1/2-2 beers per visit. But, I don't have a 20 year old liver anymore either :)

My most common scenario is exactly one beer at night with dinner, whether that's at home or out at a restaurant. Maybe once every week or two I'll skip a night if I'm not in the mood. Doesn't make much difference if it's a week night or weekend, with the exception of if there is something going on like we're out in the pool all afternoon, or we take out the boat. On those days when I have one a little earlier in the day, and others are drinking too, then I may end up drinking 2-4, spread out over the entire day. I'm 56 and I honestly can not remember the last time I had enough to drink that I would not be comfortable getting behind the wheel of the car, or operating my boat.

I only drink enough to be uncomfortable to drive on a holiday like New years eve or saint pattys day that is also my birthday so I drink a few extra :)

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Home Brew mobile app

I have a beer a night. There are so many good beers out there now. Long are the days of just having Budweiser to drink. I still buy beer of course because there is no better way to understand beer flavors than to drink beer. The hardest decision for me is whether to have a homebrew or something I purchased.

To counter any health concerns I work out several times a week and watch what I eat. It's working for now!

Mine depends on my Freediving, if I'm going to do a big dive day; I won't have more than one beer the night before. I have to prepare my liver for that next day of drinking a beer per YT and a Celebration beer for a good day all together. Normally I have a beer when I get home, take the girls on their bike ride, one with dinner, and possibly another one if my Gold Rush is on, but they are also spread out so my liver ain't overloaded either since it's important how fast you drink those beers apart.

Pretty much sums up my consumption as well.

I just don't know how or why you guys do it. Beer is like coffee to me - it's a ritual, it's something I look forward to everyday. I drink it just as much for the flavor as I do for its affects. Why limit yourself to only weekends if it's something you truly enjoy? And that really is a question...

I just don't know how or why you guys do it. Beer is like coffee to me - it's a ritual, it's something I look forward to everyday. I drink it just as much for the flavor as I do for its affects. Why limit yourself to only weekends if it's something you truly enjoy? And that really is a question...

I also enjoy having a beer or two around 6-8pm most days during the week and skipping a day or two each week, and usually 4-6 on Saturdays spread out over the afternoon. Before starting homebrewing I'd usually only drink on weekends or with company.

I believe there are reasons to limit yourself to only weekend. I sleep better with zero alcohol. I have better self control to avoid unhealthy snacking after dinner with zero alcohol.

I also play tennis at a decent level. The difference in focus ability the days after zero alcohol, vs having a few is easily apparent to me. It has to impact work productivity (even if only slightly).

Anyway, I think its a tradeoff. I love beer, it makes me happy, and I plan to continue my current consumption level. I also won't lie to myself by saying there are no negative effects.

I am also a weekend warrior for the most part. I might have one or two during the week but mostly Fri night, Sat while brewing and/or cooking on the grill or smoker, and Sun after church.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I either have night class from 6 - 9 or I try to get to the gym during the weeknights. One or two beers a night aalso dds up quickly in the calorie count. I'll often go a few weeks without having a beer.

Great point. If you had "Sex on tap" would you really only hit it on the weekends? Sorry guys I'm a daily.

Great point. If you had "Sex on tap" would you really only hit it on the weekends? Sorry guys I'm a daily.

When you're married, the tap's more often closed than open for business. :eek:

I don't drink every day. When I do drink, it's usually one or two drinks. I'll seldom go over that amount. Even when i'm bottle sharing or beer judging, I take small pours of beers (1/2 oz) just to taste them and evaluate them.

The book, The Blue Zones studied pocket communities all over the world for healthy habits (including diet) that promote advanced longevity through quality of life. These were communities where the median age was well into the 90's and several members of the community well over 100+ years old. Alcohol consumption was regular in every community along with a controlled carbohydrate, moderate fat and protein consumption (regular daily exercise and a vigorous sex life also helps).

The interesting thing was, it didn't matter what people were drinking so much as having moderation in their drinking habits. In Japan, they were drinking Sake. In Greece, ouzo. In Italy, Red wine. All drinks that fall into the 8%-20% abv range. No more than two a day.

I love beer!! I probably drink 4-5 pints of homebrew a day. Part of the beauty of a kegerator is the half pours... who knows how many I've really had? No empty bottles or cans as evidence :) I guess it all started when I worked in a brewery for 7 years (in the kitchen, then doing maintenance). I'd get a couple of free shift beers when I got off at 3pm, then go home where I had the same brewery's beer on tap. I could never understand how other people who worked there didn't have kegerators too, with the employee discount on a pony keg I was only paying 85 cents per 16 oz pint! Can't beat that for quality craft beer. It wasn't until I quit working there and my kegerator got empty that I got into homebrewing. I tend to think of my homebrew as a kind of healthful tonic. I use organic base malt, and I know everything that is in it because I put it there. It's liquid bread people!! I completely agree with other people who have mentioned other peoples soft drink habits. I work with a guy who shows up every morning with a Rockstar energy drink in his hand, and he drinks 2 more throughout the day. Have you looked at the ingredient list for Rockstar? My beer has a handful of ingredients, and they are all direct from nature, and I know what they are because I put them in there! I know we all make different dietary choices in our day, but I'd rather save my calories for my delicious beer! I do realize we have all been told about the negative effects of alcohol, but lets be realistic, we are living in a toxic, plastic, polluted society these days and we are faced with a multitude of dangers to our health and longevity. We breathe in car exhaust, we drink out of containers made by chemical processes (BPA anyone?), our water has fluoride added to it (which is a classified hazardous waste sourced from commercial fertilizer production), we consume absurd amounts of refined sugar and corn syrup, we eat vegetables that have been sprayed with Roundup and are genetically modified not to die, our carpet and paints have volatile organic compounds that off-gas into our homes, our kids are hitting puberty earlier and earlier due to hormones and other chemicals that are injected into the animals we are eating and drinking milk from, and I'm supposed to worry about my higher than moderate consumption of a homemade, mostly organic agricultural product that brings me all sorts of enjoyment and happiness? Come on, lets look at the big picture here!! "Take a look around Ellen, we're at the threshold of Hell!" (obligatory National Lampoons Christmas Vacation quote... long live Clark Griswold!) If it wasn't for beer I wouldn't be able to ignore that (only partial) laundry list of world problems I just listed above, and relax and enjoy my time at home with my wife and kids without being a big downer. Beer keeps me optimistic! Cheers to beers! :mug:

I can drink anytime she lets me....never on worknight but two or three on fri,sat,sun......mostly it makes me hungry, then tired, then i nap...have a coffee. LOL ...but I'm in my fifties....when i was young! I retired out of the Corps and was always overseas....oh the memories.....now.......grandkids...lol

Yat Yas !

Moderation? I enjoy one beer just fine I don't need to drink a 6 pack at a sitting to enjoy a homebrew. But I'm speaking for myself.

Back