Do you ever get tired of drinking certian styles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave258

Reaction score
Last night with dinner, I was drinking a Dog Fish Head 60 min IPA. That is a beer that I love, and usually have no problems drinking it at all. Nothing was wrong with the beer itself, but for some reason, I found it hard to drink. The other night I was in Uno's and had a Harpoon IPA, and had the same problem. Maybe I just need a break from IPA's. I hope that's all it is. I have 5 gallons of Ed's Haus Ale conditioning in a keg, and on Monday, I just brewed up 5 gallons of Yooper's Ruination clone.
Does this happen to anyone else? What do you Brew to give yourself a break? Maybe I should give BM's Cream of Three Crops a try. It sounds like a good summer beer.

Yeah, I've grown tiresome of PAs. I have ingredients for the a Pliny the Elder clone, and that may be it for the year.

Yep. I avoid that problem by having a variety of styles to choose from. I have 3 taps and try to keep something very hoppy on only one. I will buy some commercial brew on occasion to mix it up a little too. Usually buy only stuff I would have trouble drinking 5 gallons of, like sours, or really strong Belgians.

I never get tired of IPAs, but I try to have three different styles on tap all the time. Even if they're not completely dissimilar, they're not the same. I try to have a hoppy APA or AAA, and IPA, and at least one other beer (currently a Vienna lager and a cream ale) available.

Of course, the Vienna lager has been on that tap since March............:D

Yep, I go back and forth a lot between stouts and big hoppy beers. Right now I'm in a hoppy beer phase, which will most likely last all summer. During the fall/winter there is nothing better than a big, heavy imperial stout.

I kind of have the opposite problem. Everything just seems too sour or sweet so I always resort back to what I like Pale ales, and IPAs. Don't get me wrong I like almost all beer but I find that I resort back to IPA's. If I am going to not drink a Pale or try several beers I will start out with anything but a pale and then go to it later. I really like stouts and porters as well. Now that is summer I have an IPA and a American Wheat (oberon clone) on tap. I have a Cream ale in the secondaries and doing an Irish Red this weekend. Then probably back to IPA.

Unfortunately, I only have 2 taps :(. I have Ed's Haus Pale conditioning, and Bavarian Hefe in the other keg. The Hefe is great! In bottles I have an Oaked Imperieal Stout I made in February that is starting to taste real good, a pumpkin ale from last September, an Irish Red, and Apfelwein. Sunday I will bottle my DFH India Brown Clone. Thank God, I have a decent variety. My wife keeps asking why I still buy so much commercial beer. I tell her it is research and developement.
I think I might order the grain for the Cream of Three Crops, and try to squeeze it in before vacation.

I got tired of IPAs about a year or so ago. I never did fully recover my taste for them. These days my house commercial beer is Warsteiner Dunkel and I make a lot of American Pilsners and Vienna Lagers. I consider myself a recovering hophead. The nice thing about it is that my cost per batch plummeted now that I'm putting an of average 2oz of hops in each batch.

I had a long period of hopheadedness for a while, and then tastes some dark beers and loved them. Right now I'm also drinking more lighter styles. I enjoy variety.

My tastes are VERY seasonal for some reason. I realized this when for some odd reason, I was turned off of IPAs all winter. Just couldn't really enjoy them. I was craving some malt bombs, and moderately hopped pale ales. As soon as warmer weather hit, I bought some IPA on a whim and literally sucked the 6 pack down. I also haven't drank a stout or porter since it got warm. Just don't have the desire to drink them right now.

Quadrupels are usually a joyful occasional drink. But drinking several in a fortnight and the joy diminishes rapidly.

OTOH, I've never tired of IPAs or bitters.

I do.

After about 4 pints of an IIPA or a barleywine I tend to get really tired and I can't drink any more of them. :drunk:

But then, in a couple of days, I can drink them again! :mug:

Go figure.

What was the question again? :confused:

I believe that enough hops can make you sleepy so between that and the alcohol, 4 pints if IIPA literally makes me tired.

Latest posts

Back