Do "professional" brewers consider brulosophy to be a load of bs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've seen TV-content on a TV at the broadcaster/producer, uncompressed, and then the same contentl a few days later at home. Both 1080p (Quality of TV is another factor though) and I must say, the difference was pretty noticeable. More blurry.

How many beers does it take to make 4K indistinguishable from 720?

That is definitely true. Whether it's cable or satellite, they need to compress the signal to have enough bandwidth to send all those channels. IPTV and streaming have fewer restrictions, as they only have to serve 1 program at a time. But in many cases the streaming services will compress to save the COST of transmission.

Here in the US, this is why OTA network broadcasts are typically higher quality than cable/satellite/streaming. Because the OTA don't have to pay cost of transmission, they compress their signal less than the others. So if you want to watch sports, it's a better picture to watch it over digital broadcast through your antenna than to watch it over cable/satellite/streaming.

Yes another aspect of cutting the cord was the ota digital quality was substantially better imo.

Here's a good example of achieving significance (at the p <0.05) but with mixed preference: 5 preferred one, 6 preferred the other, 1 didn't care, and 3 apparently guess right.

http://brulosophy.com/2017/09/18/gr...0-vs-crystal-10020-blend-exbeeriment-results/

In the quest to brew better beer, this result doesn't help much.

I wish they wouldn't add the "well, which do you prefer?", because that's not what's being tested.

If what's being tested is "which do you prefer", then a triangle test isn't appropriate.

Here's a good example of achieving significance (at the p <0.05) but with mixed preference: 5 preferred one, 6 preferred the other, 1 didn't care, and 3 apparently guess right.

http://brulosophy.com/2017/09/18/gr...0-vs-crystal-10020-blend-exbeeriment-results/

When 3 (of the original 15) of those who initially guessed correctly afterwards admitted they couldn't actually distinguish the beers, doesn't that reduce the actual number of correct guesses to an insignificant 12?

Perhaps the entire test should be repeated 3 times, to see if the same results occur each time. And better yet, with different participants each time.

https://mashmadeeasy.yolasite.com/

In the quest to brew better beer, this result doesn't help much.

I wish they wouldn't add the "well, which do you prefer?", because that's not what's being tested.

If what's being tested is "which do you prefer", then a triangle test isn't appropriate.

To me, "which do you prefer" is the only thing that matters.

I tend to quite often look most closely at this part of the experiments also.

I will also admit that I have grown tired of seeing pictures of thermometers, pH meters, brew kettles, etc... over and over again, so I generally skip straight to the end after looking over the ingredients list.

They should report this for all the tasters, not just the ones that correctly noted a difference or guessed 'right'.

That data is collected (or at least I think it was for the two I was a part of).

They should report this for all the tasters, not just the ones that correctly noted a difference or guessed 'right'.

That data is collected (or at least I think it was for the two I was a part of).

If you fail to distinguish between the two beers, how can you have a preference for one or the other?

This thread is getting quantumfiely conjectifuctionally difficult to understand.

I did a triangle text with myself and 2 friends. Two beers were commercial and one was homebrew. The first to fart was the homebrew....I won

v8ccqht.jpg

:D

When 3 (of the original 15) of those who initially guessed correctly afterwards admitted they couldn't actually distinguish the beers, doesn't that reduce the actual number of correct guesses to an insignificant 12?
No, just the opposite in fact. In many of their tests they eliminate those who can't make a determination. Part of a 'forced guess' test is that panelists are forced to specify which is the odd beer when they can't detect which it is otherwise. This is designed into the test and represents a deviation on the part of Brulosophy from accepted procedure.

If you fail to distinguish between the two beers, how can you have a preference for one or the other?

You don't know if you pass/fail when taking the brulosophy "test."

Your asked to pick the odd beer out, and then asked follow questions. At least that's my recollection....it's been a few years since I took one.

So, you could fail the test but still perceive a preference...

And, if you correctly identify the odd beer out, how could you report there was no difference between the beers? In the one I recently linked, that's what 3 people said...

Large breweries have paid staff who test beers. Does anyone know if they do this via the triangle test method?

I can't name a single brewery that I for sure know does triangle testing but given that the ASBC's MOAs have a triangle test procedure I think it is probably a pretty good bet that some breweries use it.

The one I work for has done less than rigorous triangle tests on a number of occasions. Mostly spot checks on bottle vs keg products, with a combo of warm stored bottle, cold stored bottle, and/or keg, to monitor shelf life of hand-bottled product that may be stored under less than ideal conditions. Namely it's not double blind (although blind to the tasters as to which is which and they usually already know the point of the test, so limited blindness there as well) we do no rigorous statistical analysis. But it's indeed useful.

No, just the opposite in fact. In many of their tests they eliminate those who can't make a determination. Part of a 'forced guess' test is that panelists are forced to specify which is the odd beer when they can't detect which it is otherwise. This is designed into the test and represents a deviation on the part of Brulosophy from accepted procedure.

AJ, does not being forced to specify that which one cannot freely specify imply that one is being compelled to merely guess? And then the correct guesses are counted as valid in determining the statistical significance. I intuitively find this to be disingenuous. But then I will fully admit that intuition should not masquerade as science.

For whats it worth I've heard many times here how Judges get it wrong at competitions. Some with the same beer being entered twice with completely different results....you gotta take it for whats its worth with the participants...There trying but it no exact science

AJ, does not being forced to specify that which one cannot freely specify imply that one is being compelled to merely guess?

In a triangle test each panelist must report one of the three beers as being the odd one. Panelists are instructed to guess if they cannot tell the difference. This is done in order to remove certain biases. In a triangle test there is no situation in which the panelist is not forced to specify and so the question is not really applicable in discussion of triangle testing.

And then the correct guesses are counted as valid in determining the statistical significance.
To determine the statistical significance in a triangle test one observes that under the null hypothesis (the hypothesis that the beers are indistinguishable) every panelist is forced to guess so the probability of picking the odd beer is 1/3. That value is inserted into the binomial distribution in order to calculate the probability that, under the null hypothesis, n (the number of panelists who got it right) or more out of m (the number of panelists) would correctly guess the odd beer. If that probability is very low then it appears the null hypothesis is not true and we reject it in favor of the alternative hypothesis that the beers are in fact distinguishable.

Now if you tell panelists to try to pick one of the three if they can but if they can't to just say so and not guess then the probability of a correct choice under the alternative hypothesis is no longer Pd +(1/3)(1-Pd) where Pd is the differentiability. The expected number of correct responses now depends on the biases that forced guessing removes and one may draw erroneous conclusions about significance.

Reactions: Kee
Just remember one thing with all this ongoing discussion: we don't know who the people are who are taking the triangle test, and we don't know what they've been eating and drinking prior to the test.

Both of those issues seriously call into question the validity of the results. No amount of statistical handwaving can overcome a lack of good data to begin with.

If people have been drinking IPAs prior to testing a lighter more nuanced beer, can they do that? If this wasn't an issue, then why do people suggest, when sampling a flight of beers, that drinkers move from the lightest to the heaviest beers?

Of course it's an issue, and it's the biggest flaw in how the brulosophy experiments are done. We don't know the population to whom the sample generalizes, and we don't know how or even if they were prepared for the test (clean palates, etc.).

The one concern I have with a simple "which do you prefer" question is that I don't know the context.

For example, they had a warm-ferment vs. cold-ferment W-34/70 beer. This is therefore a lager, and should be judged (IMHO) as to which beer is the most "lager-like", not necessarily which is preferred. By style, lagers are expected to be "cleaner", with very restrained esters.

I would posit that a lot of tasters drink more ale than lager and may prefer more esters in their beer, and thus may prefer the warm-fermented beer over the cold-ferment beer (assuming, of course, that fermenting warm has higher ester production). But that may not make it a better lager.

Now, that doesn't mean the "which do you prefer" is meaningless data. But I would have liked them to ask an additional question if they're doing a test of this type. I would ask them to again present the qualified participants with another set of 2 samples and asked "which beer do you perceive to have more yeast-derived character, and which has less?"

If the qualified tasters were able to accurately judge that additional question, it gives us as brewers MUCH more information than merely asking preference.

Great Lakes Brewing has over the years won award after award for their Elliot Ness Vienna Lager, and it appears to be roughly just about as Vienna Lager like as something along the lines of a Fullers ESB might be if fermented with something like W-34/70 and then lagered. They did not apparently have much concern for the style. Just saying.

Great Lakes Brewing has over the years won award after award for their Elliot Ness Vienna Lager, and it appears to be roughly just about as Vienna Lager like as something along the lines of a Fullers ESB might be if fermented with something like W-34/70 and then lagered. They did not apparently have much concern for the style. Just saying.

Fair enough. But they're aiming for commercial success and I brew for myself. If I'm going to brew a German lager I expect it to be clean, so I'm going to use W-34/70 and ferment it cold. If I want an estery Vienna "lager" I'll just use a kolsch yeast.

What I think I learned from that brulosophy experiment is that you can ferment W-34/70 warm and make good beer. What I don't understand is which beer more accurately represents what a German-style lager SHOULD be, which IMHO is low-ester and clean.

What I think I learned from that brulosophy experiment is that you can ferment W-34/70 warm and make good beer. What I don't understand is which beer more accurately represents what a German-style lager SHOULD be, which IMHO is low-ester and clean.

I must fully agree with you on the low ester and clean. I also don't think Elliot Ness (as tasty as it is) is a Vienna lager, but they have sure confused and fooled a bunch of people as to that style, as attested by their awards. It appears that the 2015 BJCP guidelines for Vienna lager have finally eliminated them from the game though. Sorry for the digression away from the main topic here...

Just remember one thing with all this ongoing discussion: we don't know who the people are who are taking the triangle test, and we don't know what they've been eating and drinking prior to the test.

Both of those issues seriously call into question the validity of the results. No amount of statistical handwaving can overcome a lack of good data to begin with.

If people have been drinking IPAs prior to testing a lighter more nuanced beer, can they do that? If this wasn't an issue, then why do people suggest, when sampling a flight of beers, that drinkers move from the lightest to the heaviest beers?

Of course it's an issue, and it's the biggest flaw in how the brulosophy experiments are done. We don't know the population to whom the sample generalizes, and we don't know how or even if they were prepared for the test (clean palates, etc.).

From my beer recollection, I was drinking IPA's and meads before I took my two xBMTs.....one was a FWH experiment, the other was a fermentation temp one.

Does that help make your point? ;) :)

In fairness, Marshall will readily admit that his goal isn't peer-reviewed literature level of science, but rather some interesting observations for the average homebrewer....especially those who take some older brewing mantra as gospel (like mashing at 152.4 compared to 155.3 will make a major difference).

From my beer recollection, I was drinking IPA's and meads before I took my two xBMTs.....one was a FWH experiment, the other was a fermentation temp one.

Does that help make your point? ;) :)

In fairness, Marshall will readily admit that his goal isn't peer-reviewed literature level of science, but rather some interesting observations for the average homebrewer....especially those who take some older brewing mantra as gospel (like mashing at 152.4 compared to 155.3 will make a major difference).

Please understand--this wasn't an indictment of Marshall. Rather, there have been one or two individuals in this thread who have championed the idea that, apparently, those things don't matter. They do.

I actually think the experiments Marshall and his cohorts do are pretty well done. What I wish we had was a better indication of who the people are who are testing, but even more than that, a better way of controlling what people are eating and drinking prior to the testing. My gut tells me the lack of differences we see in many brulosophy experiments is related to this. BUT, it would be better if someone (like me, maybe) could do some experiments which are as well-controlled as the brulosophy ones are, and then put some effort into the measurement side.

I really want to do that. Maybe it doesn't matter, but either way, it's an issue that, IMO, is still outstanding. I'd have people show up to testing not having drunk any beer; I'd have water to cleanse palates, and I might even try to have tasters do successive tests to ensure they're able to discern the difference.

The brulosophy methodology has improved over time, and I'm hoping that this becomes the next area of improvement. If I could find a way to brew two comparable batches I'd try to do that, but I don't have the dual system I need. All I can do is brew sequentially, and maybe that would be enough.

Morrey and I have been doing some initial testing of Brewtan-B. We think we see something there, but it might be wishful thinking. I'm dying to do two IPA batches, everything the same except BtB, and see what impact there is on initial flavor as well as long-term stability of flavor and aroma.

I've got two ferm chambers so I could start them separately, have starters that are staggered by four hours, and so on. I need to find someone local to help me do this and maintain fidelity to consistent brewing techniques. Or maybe I can just plot it out, but an assistant would help immensely.

I have someone in mind. :)

At EB, we've done initial testing of Brewtan B. You can find it at experimentalbrew.com. We have a test underway of it's efficacy in long term aging. Hopefully we'll present the results of that before too long.

Please understand--this wasn't an indictment of Marshall. Rather, there have been one or two individuals in this thread who have championed the idea that, apparently, those things don't matter. They do.

I actually think the experiments Marshall and his cohorts do are pretty well done. What I wish we had was a better indication of who the people are who are testing, but even more than that, a better way of controlling what people are eating and drinking prior to the testing. My gut tells me the lack of differences we see in many brulosophy experiments is related to this. BUT, it would be better if someone (like me, maybe) could do some experiments which are as well-controlled as the brulosophy ones are, and then put some effort into the measurement side.

I really want to do that. Maybe it doesn't matter, but either way, it's an issue that, IMO, is still outstanding. I'd have people show up to testing not having drunk any beer; I'd have water to cleanse palates, and I might even try to have tasters do successive tests to ensure they're able to discern the difference.

The brulosophy methodology has improved over time, and I'm hoping that this becomes the next area of improvement. If I could find a way to brew two comparable batches I'd try to do that, but I don't have the dual system I need. All I can do is brew sequentially, and maybe that would be enough.

Morrey and I have been doing some initial testing of Brewtan-B. We think we see something there, but it might be wishful thinking. I'm dying to do two IPA batches, everything the same except BtB, and see what impact there is on initial flavor as well as long-term stability of flavor and aroma.

I've got two ferm chambers so I could start them separately, have starters that are staggered by four hours, and so on. I need to find someone local to help me do this and maintain fidelity to consistent brewing techniques. Or maybe I can just plot it out, but an assistant would help immensely.

I have someone in mind. :)

why don't you brew a 10 gal batch and split it? Then the beer would be exactly the same until it went into the fermenter. :rockin:

why don't you brew a 10 gal batch and split it? Then the beer would be exactly the same until it went into the fermenter. :rockin:

I'm using Denny's suggestion as to how to use Brewtan-B. It requires including it in the mash, so splitting the batch wouldn't work.

I also don't have the capacity to do a 10-gallon batch. I've got a 10-gallon Spike. Maybe I'll put a 15- or 20-gallon kettle on my Christmas list. :)

I'm using Denny's suggestion as to how to use Brewtan-B. It requires including it in the mash, so splitting the batch wouldn't work.

I also don't have the capacity to do a 10-gallon batch. I've got a 10-gallon Spike. Maybe I'll put a 15- or 20-gallon kettle on my Christmas list. :)

Sorry if this is a lame questions, but what is Brewtan-B?:confused:

At EB, we've done initial testing of Brewtan B. You can find it at experimentalbrew.com. We have a test underway of it's efficacy in long term aging. Hopefully we'll present the results of that before too long.

How long are you aging it for? Long term to me sounds like years (14% barley wine or something like that). ;)

Sorry if this is a lame questions, but what is Brewtan-B?:confused:

From Wyeast: Brewtan B (formerly called Tanal B) is a 100% natural, high molecular weight tannic acid extracted from renewable plant materials specifically for the brewing industry. Incorporating Brewtan B into your process will improve the shelf life and enhance the flavor and colloidal stability of your beer.

The gallotannins in Brewtan B react with wort proteins through adsorption and precipitation - the Brewtan B/protein complex is left in the spent grains when Brewtan B is added to the mash, or removed in the whirlpool when it is added to the boiler.

It is highly effective at coagulating and flocculating proline and –thiol –containing proteins, but does not interact with foam-positive proteins. This in turn inhibits downstream lipid and protein oxidation, improving flavor stability and shelf life.

How long are you aging it for? Long term to me sounds like years (14% barley wine or something like that). ;)

There were 8 different Brewers, all with their own recipe. One with a Citra Wheat Pale Ale compared with and without Brewtan after 4 months. If I was buying that beer in the store, I would look for it to be 3 months or fresher so that is a significant age for a light, hoppy beer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back