Do NOT do this to your SS aeration stone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TNTurkey

Reaction score
I've had some problems with clogging of my 0.5 micron stainless steel aeration stone despite the fact that I cleaned and then dried it by running air from an aquarium pump through an online filter. (I use an O2 tank to aerate the wort). On the advice of a fairly reputable DIY site, I put my stainless steel aeration stone in household bleach overnight and then rinsed in 50/50 bleach followed by plain water. The photo attached is the result. The barb on the end is badly corroded and, worst of all, the stone is thoroughly clogged.
Yes, I feel stupid-should've done my homework. When I went to buy a new one today, the instructions clearly say to boil to clean. It also says to not handle the stone with your fingers (again, duh!) as the oil will clog the pores.
Because I've been through 2 of these stones this year, I also researched some cheaper options. I read through some of the threads on this and the idea of using a regular aquarium stone seems to be controversial. The most frequent objection I saw was the difficulty in sanitizing. The video review linked below is pretty decent.
Aeration stone.JPG

Man that sucks. I can't believe they would tell you to soak it in strait bleach. I've always kept mine is a small container filled with vodka. I dip it in starsan and run it for a sec before and after I put it into the fermentor. No issues thus far. Sorry, I don't have any knowledge of aquarium stones. Good luck.

I've never boiled a stone because I figured that would just cook the gunk on. I've used 0.5 micron stones but have come to prefer 2 microns because they are much easier to clean and sanitize. I normally just flush with water and then CO2 or air. If it needs extra cleaning, I soak it in iodophor. Iodophor will dissolve organic matter just like its halogen cousin, chlorine bleach, but will not corrode stainless steel. Then flush with water and gas/air as usual. 2 micron stones don't produce bubbles as fine as 0.5 of course, but if you dial back the flow rate they are just as effective at oxygenating wort.

Yeah
When it comes to the internet “trust but verify”.
Man that sucks. I can't believe they would tell you to soak it in strait bleach. I've always kept mine is a small container filled with vodka. I dip it in starsan and run it for a sec before and after I put it into the fermentor. No issues thus far. Sorry, I don't have any knowledge of aquarium stones. Good luck.

I boil mine before every use. Boil keep kills everything. 16 brews no issues.

I keep mine in a small jar of starsan. It's a 0.5 micron stone, a brief boil before use seems to keep the pores clear. When I thought it may be infected after finding moisture in the hose when it had been sitting a while, I threw it in my instant pot max and pressure cooked it @ max pressure (240-250F, practically an autoclave) for half an hour, then put it right back into fresh starsan. I'd think you could also sterilize it in the oven @300F without harm.

Never ever use bleach on stainless steel.
If you suspect soiling with organic matter, such as fat from your fingers, use a caustic cleaner instead.

I'd think you could also sterilize it in the oven @300F without harm.

You can even use a propane torch and go medieval on the thing. It takes a lot more than that to melt the metal so there's no chance you could damage it but anything even remotely alive will cease to be in a matter of seconds.

Never ever use bleach on stainless steel.
If you suspect soiling with organic matter, such as fat from your fingers, use a caustic cleaner instead.
Depending on water chemistry, I suppose , this can be a problem as well. I've had alkaline cleaners leave a deposit I could not effectively remove in a 0.5 micron stone, clogging the pores. Iodophor is not going to pose this problem. 2 micron stones are also easier to clear of such mineral deposits.

Depending on water chemistry, I suppose , this can be a problem as well. I've had alkaline cleaners leave a deposit I could not effectively remove in a 0.5 micron stone, clogging the pores. Iodophor is not going to pose this problem. 2 micron stones are also easier to clear of such mineral deposits.
Yeah, that would suck. I guess the torch (or flamethrower if you really want to go WWII on it :D) would be the best option for "dry cleaning" the stone. At that temperature organic gunk would burn off with little or no residue.

I've never had a problem with mine (0.5 micron) - a quick rinse in boiling water after use with O2 running slowly through it, then the same immediately before use. If you never leave it in wort/beer without O2 flowing, you shouldn't get gunk inside the pores.

Thanks for the great tips.
The directions on the package say to use acid if you feel it’s clogged.
I believe that star San is a phosphoric acid but I wonder if the normal strength would be strong enough.

Mine was starting to get clogged at one point so I just soaked it in a small jar of rubbing alcohol. Cleared it right up and since then, I just store it in rubbing alcohol.

Back