Do I really need to move to a secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarineDwg9

Reaction score
I am in the middle of my first brew beyond a Mr. Beer kit.

I am brewing a mini-mash of an "Old Speckled Hen" clone from an ingredients kit from one of the popular online stores. The directions say to ferment for 5-7 days, then siphon to a secondary and let clarify another 5-7 days before bottling.

I have read a lot of folks debate whether secondary fermentations are necessary. This recipe does not call for any dry-hopping, so it seems the only function of the secondary is for clarifying the beer. Is it okay to not move the beer to a secondary?

If I don't siphon to a secondary, do I need to let it continue to sit in the primary for another 5-7 days, or can I go ahead and take a gravity reading and bottle?

I am in the middle of my first brew beyond a Mr. Beer kit.

I am brewing a mini-mash of an "Old Speckled Hen" clone from an ingredients kit from one of the popular online stores. The directions say to ferment for 5-7 days, then siphon to a secondary and let clarify another 5-7 days before bottling.

I have read a lot of folks debate whether secondary fermentations are necessary. This recipe does not call for any dry-hopping, so it seems the only function of the secondary is for clarifying the beer. Is it okay to not move the beer to a secondary?

If I don't siphon to a secondary, do I need to let it continue to sit in the primary for another 5-7 days, or can I go ahead and take a gravity reading and bottle?

There is a lot of debate. Welcome to HBT. IMHO, you can make dang good ale without a secondary. Just take your readings until it is done, then bottle.

There is a lot of debate.

That's an incredible understatement.

Wars have been fought over lesser debates.

In my opinion, if I'm beer clarity is an issue, I will use a secondary. I'll transfer after fermentation has completed or is nearly complete and I'll cold crash and/or gelatin as well.

Keep in mind this is ONLY for beers that I care about the clarity of.

If I plan to add anything during fermentation such as dry hops, cacao nibs, etc, I'll secondary.

Otherwise, my rule of thumb is three weeks. If I plan to wait more than three weeks to bottle or keg, I want to get it off the yeast, so I'll transfer to secondary as soon as fermentation is done.

In my opinion, if I'm beer clarity is an issue, I will use a secondary. I'll transfer after fermentation has completed or is nearly complete and I'll cold crash and/or gelatin as well.

Keep in mind this is ONLY for beers that I care about the clarity of.

How does the presence of yeast on the bottom of the vessel discourage more yeast from dropping out?

This might sound like a smartass question, but I assure you, I am legitimately asking.

in terms of this brew, i would be inclined to leave it in the primary for 21 to 28 days.

If you are inclined, check your gravity at 14 and 21 days. if the readings are the same, bottle and let it sit at 72 degrees for 3 weeks.

21 day primary is the norm for many of my brews. pale ales, wheats and milds are often 14 days.

I would not bottle before 14 days on most. That requires knowing your beer really well.

I am a no primary kind of guy unless I am trying to clarify. Even then, I keg alot, so I can blow off sediment!

How does the presence of yeast on the bottom of the vessel discourage more yeast from dropping out?

This might sound like a smartass question, but I assure you, I am legitimately asking.

It does not discourage more yeast from dropping out, that is more a product of time.

It reduces the trub layer in the bottom and makes a cleaner siphon.

Some people will talk autolysis from dead yeast... but that is not a concern for most homebrewers in my opinion (shared by many)

A transfer has less to do with yeast dropping out and everything to do with taking away or minimizing the trub layer which can be kicked up.

If you did something crazy like a half dozen transfers there would be less sediment. Of course, you would also likely lose some beer in the process as well, more than would likely be worth it.

But if you think a primary, a secondary and then a racking bucket you've got three transfers going on right there. That will take a good chunk of the trub out of the mix.

You do not "NEED" a secondary. But there are situations where they are useful.

Post fermentation additions or dryhopping. speedy clarification. long tem bulk aging.

with secondary, there is always extra o2 exposure as well as less yeast present to clean up off flavors.

If you are brewing a basic beer with a OG of less than 1.075, just leave it in primary and be patient. It will yield a better product.

Thank you all. This beer has already been quite the learning experience. I have done a LOT of things wrong. I think I will let it sit another week and then take a gravity reading to determine whether to bottle. I will pass on the secondary right now.

Thank you all. This beer has already been quite the learning experience. I have done a LOT of things wrong. I think I will let it sit another week and then take a gravity reading to determine whether to bottle. I will pass on the secondary right now.

Every newb thinks they did everything wrong. I assure you, you will have beer! There isnt alot you can do wrong, but there is alot of ways to do it better.
RDWHAHB!

Throw out the directions!! my $.02!

14 days in primary min. clarify in carboy (if desired) at least another week

I really only visit these threads to take a time from inception, to Revvy's appearance..........Let's see.......

What the......13 posts and no REVVY????

send out search parties!!!!

Back