Do I oxidize again if I add additional fermentibles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

larrydcarter

Reaction score
Mead is a good way threw primary fermentation (only about 1 bubble per minute in the airlock) and I've decided to add some blackberry juice to it. Should I oxidize it again sense it will be fermenting the sugars in the blackberry juice?

Mead is a good way threw primary fermentation (only about 1 bubble per minute in the airlock) and I've decided to add some blackberry juice to it. Should I oxidize it again sense it will be fermenting the sugars in the blackberry juice?

No. If you're about finished fermenting, then don't aerate the mead. Without any hydrometer readings, it's hard to guess when you should stop/stirring but it's probably way past time for aerating now if you're a "good way through" fermentation.

+1. Aerating or oxygenating is to help the yeast early in the fermentation. When they reproduce, oxygen allows them to grow strong cell walls. Since it sounds like your yeast are actively fermenting, they have already reproduced at an adequate rate to ferment your cider. If you aerate, you're oxidizing the mean, which can cause off flavors and a very short shelf life. Not good for a mead, that typically improves with age.

Back