Do I need to maintain ferm temps after fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhorgan1

Reaction score
I brewed up a batch of EdWorts Haus Pale Ale about a week ago and had it fermenting in my room at around 70 (I don't have a temp controlled ferm chamber) Since then the weather has gotten a lot warmer and since I can't sure on my AC yet my ferm strip on my bucket is reading 75. Is this gonna be a problem? I figured since most if not all of the fermentation has completed by now the temperature shouldnt matter since really all I'm doing is watching the trub compact.

You'll be fine. Off-flavors due to temperature are usually restricted to occurring at the height of fermentation.

EDIT: Though 70 is a bit high... with the heat of active fermentation it probably fermented closer to 75

temperature isnt to important after fermentation (to a degree) but since you said it was in the 70s during ferementation, it might be more fruity/estery. Leave it the primary for a few weeks to try to let it clean up

Yea, me too.. I just got home from work and its 70 in the basement and my ferm temp strip was reading 73 and yeast chunks going like a merry go round, Up & down.

I checked White labs site for max ferm temp and it said 73. I grabbed a plastic tub, dumped the clothes that were in it, put in the carboy and filled the tub with water and wrapped a soaked towel around the carboy... I hope all is good, since its only day 1 of fermentation.
Pitched yeast starter yesterday, this morning was fermenting nice!

Yeast -WLP001

Well I'm glad I don't really need to worry about ferm temps cause my ferm strip is reading at 80 now... fawk. I really hope I'm gonna be able to turn on the AC soon.

Back