Do I need more yeast before bottling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brak23

Reaction score
Hello,

I brewed a NW Style Red Ale using Wyeast 1056 back on August 2nd, 2013. Its been sitting in a primary because I had a couple week trip as well as moving and a new job, so I somewhat forgot about it (both good and bad, haha).

My question, I am going to bottle it tomorrow, September 21st. Which puts it at sitting in the primary for 7 weeks.

Do I need to add more yeast before I bottle this batch? Or do you think the yeast in there will be good enough to carb up the beer when I bottle it?

Also: Slightly nervous about the length of time in primary. Everyone has a different viewpoint on this. But do you think im safe with the length of time this has been in the primary?

Well, its been bottled and been sitting for 4 weeks in the bottle.

It tastes and smells like Yeast. Its highly undrinkable. Im gonna set and forget them and hopefully that changes in a few months.

However, the two causes of this im reading are: 1) Bad Yeast and 2) Yeast eating dead yeast (autolysis). I know I didn't leave it for THAT long. But im now starting to wonder if I left it alone too long and thus causes the yeasty smell and taste.

I got the autolysis once. the beer tasted like rancid meat. I hope yours clears up, taste wise. did you rouse the yeast before bottling?

Not that I did intentionally. I lift my bucket carefully and avoid any vigorous motion that could make the yeast angry :)

I'm just trying to try and pinpoint what else I could have done wrong. It may just be the 7-7.5 weeks it was in primary before bottling.

Back