Do I Need Fresh Starsan

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A1sportsdad

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am about to do my first kegging. My keg has been sitting a month with Starsan in it. Am I good to just purge it out and use it or do I need to dump and fill with fresh Starsan.

Thanks

As I understand it, as long as the starsan isn't cloudy you should be ok. but, I am no expert, so I will defer until the right folks show up to either agree or add. I have had starsan in my fermenting bucket for a few weeks just cause I hated to throw away 5 gallons of the stuff and used it to sanitise and it seemed ok. Good luck.

As I understand it, as long as the starsan isn't cloudy you should be ok. but, I am no expert, so I will defer until the right folks show up to either agree or add. I have had starsan in my fermenting bucket for a few weeks just cause I hated to throw away 5 gallons of the stuff and used it to sanitise and it seemed ok. Good luck.
Cloudy or not doesn't tell a thing. It is about the correct pH. In ops case, I think you're good to just purge it. One month is not so long.

If it's completely full, or the headspace is filled with CO2, it's fine, just shake or roll it, and purge it out. That keg is thoroughly sanitized!

If it's not completely full and there's air (not CO2) in the headspace, I would open it up and use a piece of a white paper towel to wipe the inside of the headspace, sides, under the dome, and the inside of the lid. If there's any gray/black residue on it, it's likely mildew, and needs cleaning.

Reason is, I've had (black) mildew spots form on the bottom of plastic lids covering Starsan buckets, due to condensation. It takes about a month (or longer), a dark environment, and air/oxygen to grow mildew. Faster in warmer environments, like in a hot garage.

Best way to avoid mildew from growing, rinse off with Starsan or shake/roll the keg more regularly.

supposedly, Starsan with distilled water will not go cloudy.

I used to mix it up in a bucket with tap water, keep a lid on it and use it for a while. It did get cloudy.

I started keeping a Starsan mix in distilled water jugs and use it to refill spray bottles. neither the jug nor spray bottle get cloudy, not matter how long they sit.

supposedly, Starsan with distilled water will not go cloudy.

I used to mix it up in a bucket with tap water, keep a lid on it and use it for a while. It did get cloudy.

I started keeping a Starsan mix in distilled water jugs and use it to refill spray bottles. neither the jug nor spray bottle get cloudy, not matter how long they sit.
It is because of the ions that fall out of solution over time. No ions, no cloudyness.

I've had Starsan mixed with distilled water for months and stays clear.

If it's completely full, or the headspace is filled with CO2, it's fine, just shake or roll it, and purge it out. That keg is thoroughly sanitized!

If it's not completely full and there's air (not CO2) in the headspace, I would open it up and use a piece of a white paper towel to wipe the inside of the headspace, sides, under the dome, and the inside of the lid. If there's any gray/black residue on it, it's likely mildew, and needs cleaning.

Reason is, I've had (black) mildew spots form on the bottom of plastic lids covering Starsan buckets, due to condensation. It takes about a month (or longer), a dark environment, and air/oxygen to grow mildew. Faster in warmer environments, like in a hot garage.

Best way to avoid mildew from growing, rinse off with Starsan or shake/roll the keg more regularly.
Just a suggestion; Use coffee-filters instead of paper towels..they don't leave fibres or pieces behind.

Just a suggestion; Use coffee-filters instead of paper towels..they don't leave fibres or pieces behind.
Depends on the paper towel...

One could use a small white (cotton) cloth instead of paper towels.
I get a whole bundle (10 or 12) of those at the Dollar Tree store, which is an amazing value for $1.25. They can get (re)used for a long time.

Okay, well based on all of this I have decided to redo my clean, rinse, sanitize process on the keg to be safe. Just hate wasting all that Starsan. This time I will have to do a bit more planning for the next keg. I am brewing this weekend so if I purge the new Starsan out to another keg I should be ready to use the keg in a couple weeks. I’ll make sure I shake it up periodically. Thanks for all the information.

Okay, well based on all of this I have decided to redo my clean, rinse, sanitize process on the keg to be safe. Just hate wasting all that Starsan. This time I will have to do a bit more planning for the next keg. I am brewing this weekend so if I purge the new Starsan out to another keg I should be ready to use the keg in a couple weeks. I’ll make sure I shake it up periodically. Thanks for all the information.
Rather than purely 'waste'the starsan, take it to the most distant or highest drain in your house to dump it.... I haven't had smelly drains since I started homebrewing and using starsan.

Just hate wasting all that Starsan.
If there is no black residue in the headspace, especially under the lid or under the dome, or moldy smell when opening it, it's likely fine to reuse. Just top up with some fresh Starsan.

6 ml Starsan concentrate per gallon of (soft) water.

so if I purge the new Starsan out to another keg I should be ready to use the keg on a couple weeks.
Best to fill the keg up all the way, so it's ready for the 100% liquid purge next time, without risk of mold forming. ;)

Or purge the (small) headspace with some CO2. AFAIK, mold cannot grow in the absence of oxygen.

Back