Do I need another carboy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gwsiegfried

Reaction score
Yesterday I brewed a batch of brown ale and started on a cider in my second carboy.
The ale is in a 6.5fal better bottle carboy and the cider is in a 5gal one. The guy at lhbs said he keeps his cider and beer in different equipment to prevent contamination. I'm thinking I need to move the cider to a secondary in a month; my beer will be bottled by then but now I'm concerned that if I put the cider in that carboy for two months, I'll not be able to put beer in it as it will be all stunk up.
Do I need to worry about this?

As long as you are using 'regular' yeasts when you brew there is little risk of contamination. Some people report flavor carry over in plastic buckets but better bottles are marketed as not holding flavor, and my experience supports the claim. Like AlCophile said, as long as you clean your fermenters there's little risk of contamination, even with wild or lacto yeasties.
A hot soak with PBW, oxyclean, or dishwashing machine detergent will be sufficient for all but the most stubborn krausen.

Contamination won't be an issue. Odor might. If after you clean it, and it still smells like cider, I would only use it for that. Oxyclean/pbw can do wonders though.

I keep my wine and beer primarys in different plastic buckets, although I'll use either to quickly bottle a batch with. Glass is mix and match.

Back