Do hoppy lagers appear hoppier due to fermentation temperatues?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rnm410

Reaction score
Not discussing dry hopped beers.

IPL vs IPA
identical recipe
difference in yeast and ferm temp.

discuss.

I really don't think so. I've done some side by sides with lager and ale yeast while splitting some 10 gallon batches, used it in some hoppy German Ales and some APA type stuff too. Wish I had kept better notes. I've fermented a lot of them at 67F too, just for fun.

I' don't know if I agree with the conventional wisdom that says the esters from the ale yeast compliment the hops. Experiment, and take some good notes, I think you'll have fun doing it, and enjoy the results.

I would say no, because the subtleties of lager vs. ale yeast will be overwhelmed by a highly hopped beer.

I think an IPA is an easier beer to brew than a German lager for the same reason, hops hide lots.

How about in terms of CO2 production with respect to removal of volatile oils, i.e. fermentation vigor and more CO2 in solution Henrys law.

Anyone have a split batch done?

I've never split, but do a lot of IPA and IPL. I can't tell a difference in 'hoppiness'.

Back