Do Homebrewers Live Longer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GHBWNY

Reaction score
DISCLAIMER: the following post is intended to inform only and is not in any manner of speaking intended to be an encouragement to drink a lot of beer should you not already be doing so.

An article by John Cloud in the August 31, 2010 issue of TIME magazine states that moderate (1-3 beers per day) beer drinkers outlive non-beer drinkers.

"...a new paper in the journal Alcoholism: Clinical and Experimental Research suggests that — for reasons that aren't entirely clear — abstaining from alcohol does tend to increase one's risk of dying, even when you exclude former problem drinkers. The most shocking part? Abstainers' mortality rates are higher than those of heavy drinkers.

The sample of those who were studied included individuals between ages 55 and 65 who had had any kind of outpatient care in the previous three years. The 1,824 participants were followed for 20 years. Just over 69% of the abstainers died during the 20 years, 60% of the heavy drinkers died and only 41% of moderate drinkers died."

Conclusion: a homebrewer does live longer, but only in proportion to the amount of one's own product consumed.

On top of the physiological benefits of moderate consumption, whether home brew or commercial, an activity like brewing can provide some physical and mental challenges to help maintain a degree of fitness and alertness for those getting long in the tooth. The social interaction is also a big plus for oldsters. Beats sitting around watching re-runs of Bonanza, waiting for the kids to call.

Most of my homebrew is targeting about 3.5-4% abv so I can have two beers in an evening and consume less alcohol than I would if I had two commercial beers at 6-7%

Homebrewers are immortal and cannot be killed. Just ask m00ps.

Haha, I guess I could technically be considered a zombie. Twice over. Still can't believe I didn't get any anoxic dain bramage

Swmbo yesterday made some comment on my complete lack of respect for my own mortality

Haha, I guess I could technically be considered a zombie. Twice over. Still can't believe I didn't get any anoxic dain bramage

Swmbo yesterday made some comment on my complete lack of respect for my own mortality

Now oyu just need to find this TIME Magazine issue and slap it in her face.

You rang?

Oh...nevermind.

I have a brett saison I named "anoxic dain bramage" since that was like the first on a long list of things from my trauma unit records. The clean portion of it is anoxic brain damage

But yeah I laughed when I saw the the only difference was not moving the R

Back