Do Founder's bottles break more easily?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keithslater

Reaction score
I have about 100 Founder's bottles and I am having a lot of the heads breaking off. I broke about 10 of them while capping and I'm not pushing really hard or anything.
Now I opened one and the head broke off of it and it wasn't carbonated. Is there a difference in the glass or something?

I'm going to guess that you're using a wing capper. I had trouble with certain bottles with mine no matter what I did. The ones that have the narrow collar below the cap ring gave me enough grief that I switched to the Agata super bench capper and never looked back. The bench capper was brew gear money well spent.

I need to give my old wing capper away to a needy new brewer. :D

i have a wing capper and have stopped using Founders seemed they always cracked, any of the short stubby ones, Lagunitas as well. I used to also have a hard time with New Belgium cracking. I think it's the capper. I don't as much any more so I try to stick the basic longnecks.

I've not tried to bottle from Founders, but it seems that the ridge under the bottling lip is a bit small. I can also second the notion that New Belgium bottles break easily, and this I attribute to their green plan of using thinner glass for their bottles.

For sturdy bottles its hard to beat Sierra Nevada, New Glarus, for my neck of the woods off the top of my head. There are others...

I haven't had a problem with Founders bottles, nor Sierra Nevada. But I have had a *few* (but not a lot) of Lagunitas bottles crack on me.

I use a lot of founders and Sierra Nevada bottles... Founders had the thicker lip on them but they changed some time ago. I never even tried using my wing capper on the short lipped bottles because others have said the short lip makes it difficult to get a good seal. I would imagine the extra effort needed to get the cap on secure creates too much stress from the wing capper and short lipped bottles break... Good reason to get a bench capper!! Good money well spent, and you can experiment with corking beers If you get the right capper.

i have a wing capper and have stopped using Founders seemed they always cracked, any of the short stubby ones, Lagunitas as well. I used to also have a hard time with New Belgium cracking. I think it's the capper. I don't as much any more so I try to stick the basic longnecks.

Agreed same issue here. I stick to the longnecks

I have 2 wing cappers.. Both of them will regularly break Anchor bottles. One of them will routinely break Founders/SN bottles, but the other doesn't. Key I found was to not push the wings all the way down.. Takes some practice to find the point where the crowns crimp, but the glass doesn't get crunched.

I use a bench capper now though, and have never broken a bottle with it.

Latest posts

Back