Do flaked adjuncts "dissapear" after doughing in

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nexy_sm

Reaction score
Hi all guys,

this might sound strange question, but do flaked heat dissapear after doughing in by being dissolved.
Yesterday I brewed Belgian Wit with tripple decoction. The grain bill was
1.5kg pilsner malt (50%)
1.2kg flaked wheat (40%)
0.3kg flaked oats (10%)

I doughed in at 42C with slightly less than 3l/kg. After 10 to 15 minutes I infused hot water in order to reach protein rest somewhere between 50C and 55C. Everything by that moment was fine, but then, I pulled thick decoction. In that moment the total mash volume was arround 14L and I pulled almost all grains, so I had arround 6L decoction volume. I rested and boild very hard for 10 minutes, but after bringing it back to the main mash I was not able to reach 66C (At that moment I wanted only double decoction). The temperature was about 59C!!! I was pissed off, so I decided to do that kind a beta rest and then to pull one more thick decoction in order to reach 72C, but again, I couldn't reach more than 67C. I am now thinking what was actually going on and why couldn't have I managed to reach those rests.

So, my question is now, what happens with flaked adjuncts after doughing in, do they dissapear by being dissolved in the water so that basically almost nothing is left to be transfered with the thick mash.

Best

I'm not 100% sure I'm following along on your question, but if you're asking what I think you're asking, then it isn't so much that the flaked adjuncts dissolve completely, they just don't quite look the same anymore as they do partially dissolve. Think of say, oatmeal, it doesn't quite look like flaked oats after you apply the hot milk/water and let it sit a bit. The flaked adjuncts are still there, just usually in smaller bits.

Back