Do brewers get drunk alone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do, drink alone. I always wait til the house is asleep to strap some on. I like the peace and quiet. S'thing that is rare in a house with children.

But, of course, I drank alone even before I made the beer.

I will drink alone but I don't get drunk. I don't like TV so around 8 pm when SWMBO shows come on I will grab a some firewood and sit by the fireplace I have on the patio, have a few beers and maybe a bourbon .

Drunk? Never, not once in my life. Only when hanging out with evil companions (need more of them).

I'm not alone when I drink, but since I'm the only one in the house who drinks, I'm the only one drinking. But I don't get drunk. Just one or occasionally two beers a night is it for me. I never drink more than that unless I'm out at a bar or something for the evening.

I use a pretty straightforward criteria to define addiction. If you can start and stop an indulgence for substantial periods, then I don't see how you could be called addicted. I use to do that back when I smoked pipes and cigars, and I do it with alcohol. No withdrawal in either case.

I use a pretty straightforward criteria to define addiction. If you can start and stop an indulgence for substantial periods, then I don't see how you could be called addicted. I use to do that back when I smoked pipes and cigars, and I do it with alcohol. No withdrawal in either case.
So....would about 8 hours be considered 'substantial'? Pfft, I do that everyday.:D

they still won.... everyone knew it was going to be close.
Agreed...I still expected it to be close even when it was 24-0...but I really wanted a 52-0 walloping.:D

Ill have a brew or two by myself sometimes, but I always at LEAST have my dog there... she loves beer, that count?

Normally though, the tap starts flowing when I have my buddies over.

I am a trans planter from Mass to Mich so not a whole lot of friends so I been buzzed once by myself, well maybe 50 times that's it Max...lol

I almost always drink alone. We don't go out much and wifey drinks very little and hates to see me tanked. (Not that I get tanked too often)

Anyway, I often drink alone out of respect for wifey. :)

I am right now.Why would I wait for company to have a beer?Thats just one of those stupid rules like"don't drink till noon"

I'll have a beer or 2 alone from time to time, but i can count on one hand the number of times in my life i've been drunk at all, and not one time was it intentional.

I enjoy beer, and i enjoy it very much, and quite frequently, but if i drink enough that i'm drunk, i figure i'm not aware enough (sober enough) to really be enjoying the quality of the beverage i'm drinking at that time. Just my take on it.

Not to mention Alcoholism runs in my family pretty heavily, so i've never bee interested in even flrting with the line of drunkenness.

I drink alone all the time. I am the best person I can think of to drink with! I am never a bad drunk towards myself either! We always get along, and I don;t mind sharing my beer with me!

I just got off the grave yard shift after 30 years. So I almost always drank alone after work. Now My wife will join me with a couple home made ice cold malted grain beverages. I love being on days!!!

I love to drink with friends and be social, but sometimes I just feel like drinking alone. It can be very relaxing to have 6-12 beers by yourself.

I have one, sometimes two at home probably 3 nights a week. I don't think I've ever had more than 3 beers when driking alone. I'm pretty much over getting hammered these days, and when I do, it's usually socially-either a friend is buying, or I'm just havin a great time and lose track of how many pints have gone in...

I never saw the video, but heard the song on the radio all the time. One of my favorites, but it always makes me a little sad. Even as dudes, there are those songs sometimes that still hit us in our own little way, and this one does to me.

Good post, glad I saw the vid.

It's a sad video yes. I always get a bit melancholic when I drink. I'm happy that you liked it. :mug:

Thanks for all your replies. It is interesting to read. I'm not alone I see. :)

I'm the only one in my house that drinks, so yeah, I guess I drink alone. My wife will taste my brew, but it's usually just a sip. As for getting drunk, no, I don't usually drink that much, unless I'm with friends, and then I don't pay attention to how much I drink until it's too late.

And besides, you aren't drunk if you can lay on the floor without holding on.

I'm the only one in my house that drinks, so yeah, I guess I drink alone. My wife will taste my brew, but it's usually just a sip. As for getting drunk, no, I don't usually drink that much, unless I'm with friends, and then I don't pay attention to how much I drink until it's too late.

And besides, you aren't drunk if you can lay on the floor without holding on.

Haha one of my friends is like that, he will often sleep on a couch or even in his own bed with one foot or a hand on the ground when drunk. He says he needs to ground himself. I say he just can't hold his liquor or beer :D

I drink some beers everyday with my girl and my friends (I'm lucky that I can meet 5 to 10 friends everyday 100 metres from my home). Somedays we end up drunk.

When my girl and I don't feel like meeting anybody we drink some homebrews at home.

But sometimes, when my girl is not at home I like to drink with Robert Johson, sometimes with Hendrix, Joplin, Waits... and sometimes we end up totally drunk.

Yeah if I ever drukt and it is socially acceptable to, I will goto HBT.com and troll.

Being drunk in front of the keyboard make you easily troll yes :( It's like being at a bar and get too drunk and do stupid things. You regret it the day after.

i can count on one hand the number of times in my life i've been drunk at all, and not one time was it intentional.

Is that a scientific calculator in your counting hand? :cross:

Drinking alone is great because you can drink at your pace and not have to keep up on the rounds.
I could take an hour to finish a pint sometimes; good thing I don't mind warmer beer. Beer slushies are for BMC.

-OCD

I don't understand why if you drink alone or get drunk alone you have a problem but if you drink or get drunk with others it is just fine. The only difference is one person likes time to him/herself, no conversation, and the other wants to be surrounded by others and involved in conversation. So a loner can't drink and one who is not can drink all he wants?

Most of the 'signs' of alcoholism are not 'proofs' but indicators. Drinking when you are alone can be an indicator of 'hiding behaviour'. If someone is hiding their drinking behaviour, there's a good chance that the habit is destructive. But asking someone 'are you hiding something' doesn't generally engender an honest response. But asking if they drink alone and then following up an affirmative with more probing questions might expose the hiding behaviour.

So drinking in a group isn't automatically 'just fine' behaviour. It just means that one doesn't need to explore the possibility that the person is hiding their behaviour.

Only Two Times I Drink,When I`m Alone or , When I`m with
Someone Else.

image0023.jpg

Most of the 'signs' of alcoholism are not 'proofs' but indicators. Drinking when you are alone can be an indicator of 'hiding behaviour'. If someone is hiding their drinking behaviour, there's a good chance that the habit is destructive. But asking someone 'are you hiding something' doesn't generally engender an honest response. But asking if they drink alone and then following up an affirmative with more probing questions might expose the hiding behaviour.

So drinking in a group isn't automatically 'just fine' behaviour. It just means that one doesn't need to explore the possibility that the person is hiding their behaviour.

Right, a person who normally likes to socialize but often drinks alone would fall into that category, but a person who normally likes the peace and quiet of being alone or simply is introverted should not.

I defend this assumption people have of lone drinkers because I am one. I no longer prefer bars, never really did, friends are busy and after spending all day at work BS'n with my co workers I enjoy the peace and quiet at home. Why can't I drink then? I don't like to watch sports with others or even movies (except fiancee) because to me they are a distraction. When I drink alone (well, fiancee is almost always there) I am almost always doing something often hobbies and again, visitors would just be a distraction and I would get nothing done. When friends come over I get NOTHING done, not saying it is not fun just that I got nothing done. I REALLY ENJOY my time alone, always have and always will. There is so much you can do by yourself. :D

Oh and listening to music, I just have to do that alone to enjoy it and I will always have a few then.

I think drinking alone being associated with problems needs to be looked at on a case by case basis, but all too often I have heard if you drink alone you have a problem, but the guy who goes to bars 4 nights a week does not.

But your 'defence' seems to ignore that the question about solitary drinking isn't intended to condemn solitary drinking but to explore the possibility that there is hiding behaviour going on.

Someone who drinks alone isn't automatically hiding their drinking. But a very social person who only drinks alone may be hiding. So asking if you drink alone alongside a bunch of other indicators opens up areas to discuss and explore further, that's all. That's what most of the indicators are for: to open up areas to discuss and explore.

If you've had people tell you that drinking alone makes you an alcoholic, odds are you have someone spouting off half understood pop psychology, half remembered from Psych 101 in college.

Furthermore, it appears that solitary drinking isn't considered a diagnostic symptom. Per the standards of the American Psychiatric Association if you exhibit 3 or more of a specific list of symptoms in a 12 month period you can be diagnosed as an alcoholic. none of those symptoms are 'solitary drinking'.

So tell these folks to piss off.

But your 'defence' seems to ignore that the question about solitary drinking isn't intended to condemn solitary drinking but to explore the possibility that there is hiding behaviour going on.

Someone who drinks alone isn't automatically hiding their drinking. But a very social person who only drinks alone may be hiding. So asking if you drink alone alongside a bunch of other indicators opens up areas to discuss and explore further, that's all. That's what most of the indicators are for: to open up areas to discuss and explore.

If you've had people tell you that drinking alone makes you an alcoholic, odds are you have someone spouting off half understood pop psychology, half remembered from Psych 101 in college.

Correct, I defend the situation where a person can drink alone and not be an alcoholic. Regardless of where they got their information though many still think it. Why else the title of this thread, why is it even a topic?

I understand what you are saying and I think we are in agreement and yes your points are correct from a clinical situation where a person is already showing issues and you can dig deeper asking the question. But the fact this thread even exists (and I believe it has before) tells me people often associate drinking alone with a problem or alcoholism without even knowing the individual.

Back