do any of you whirlpool in the BK?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zeppman

Reaction score
Hey all,

Just curious how you guys deal with the hop gunk and trub in the BK. I'd like to try and whirlpool, but I think the heating element would be in the way.

Do any of you successfully whirlpool with a heating element running through the middle of your BK?

I do not have letric but I do whirlpool. I recirculate the wort through the counter flow chiller and back into the BK. I want to get a quick cold break so I set the flow to get the wort to 100 degrees as fast as I can. It "piles" up the trub into a nice pile in the middle of the kettle, which also has a false bottom.

It works great. I have a concave kettle bottom to settle the trub into it. I use only pellets hops, and lots and lots of them, and retain a lot of it in the bottom. I'd guess 95%+ are in the cone. Some collect on the element but a little scrubbing works great on that part.

sandyeggoxj,

Do you whirlpool with a pump or by hand? Does your element cut across the entire kettle? How high off the bottom of your kettle is your element?

About 4" up from the center. Maybe 1" above the side. Kettle is 20" across. It goes maybe 3/4 across. I have a center inlet chugger and a tangential inlet. Depending on the beer I whirlpool 20-30 min. 30 for hoppy beers. 20 for everything else.

Interesting, sounds similar to what I have (I went the Kal clone route). Do you have a picture of the inside of the kettle you could share?

Thanks guys,

I've thought about those hop spiders, but I'm concerned about them affecting the flavor. I live for IPAs and I would not want to be reducing the flavor of the hops in my beer.

Have you done any comparisions, hop spider vs free hopping?

The hops buyer does not impede the flavor of IPAs and it really helps contain the hop trub! We also whirlpool our IPAs and have not had a problem integrating the hop spider in to this procedure.

I do not have letric but I do whirlpool. I recirculate the wort through the counter flow chiller and back into the BK. I want to get a quick cold break so I set the flow to get the wort to 100 degrees as fast as I can. It "piles" up the trub into a nice pile in the middle of the kettle, which also has a false bottom.

I was never able to get any cone in my BK during whirlpool using the immersion chiller/whirlpool method. Maybe my setup geometry is not good but I seem to always have everything in motion instead of a center where the trub can settle. Yhe only way to get it the cone is to manually create a vortex with a spoon after chilling and let it settle for 20 or so minutes.

Thanks guys,

I've thought about those hop spiders, but I'm concerned about them affecting the flavor. I live for IPAs and I would not want to be reducing the flavor of the hops in my beer.

Have you done any comparisions, hop spider vs free hopping?

I have used a hop spider with pellet hops but have no comparison. There is definitely a temperature differential and the fine mesh tends to clog easily. I stopped using it for pellet hops but intend to keep using it for leaf hops because that will clog my pump if free-floating. Mine is centered in the BK though in case that matters.

I upgraded to the lagers hop spider so the clogging of the screen material is not a factor... with the small spider it did seem like it may have been effecting hop utilization a bit.

I have a NorCal false bottom with the level 3 filter stand...tried it out with 10oz of pellet hops on saturday and had absolutely no trouble/clogging. I'm not sure where it tops out, but it could definitely take some more.

I use a tangential input to whirlpool. My tank has a domed bottom and after 15 minutes with the pump and 15 minutes settling I get a decent pile on the bottom. My element is sent up the same as sandyeggoxj's. I also use a trub filter in front of my plate chiller but with the whirlpool it doesn't have much to do. No hop bags or spiders, I free range my hops. To clean, I suck trub out of the dome bottom with a shop vac.

Back