Do a lot of people just pitch from yeast slurry?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elysium

Reaction score
I have just washed my 1st few jars of yeast and now it is time to re-use some of it to make some beer. :)

However....there is still one thing I havent decided about: shall I just simply remove the mason jar from the fridge on the brewday, let it warm to room temp and pitch the slurry from the bottom of the jar? I am thinking of using a bit of boiled water (just as if I was rehydrating) to wake up those yeast cells.

Does anyone do it this way with success?
I mean surely it will be beer.....but will it be as good as if I used dry-yeast (for example, a sachet of safale US-05) and rehydrated it properly?

That's exactly what I do - Remove from fridge when I start brewing, by the time I'm ready to pitch its more or less at room temperature, at which point I just pitch the slurry, so far it's worked fine for me every time.

That's exactly what I do - Remove from fridge when I start brewing, by the time I'm ready to pitch its more or less at room temperature, at which point I just pitch the slurry, so far it's worked fine for me every time.

Cool. How old is normally your yeast when you use it?

Oh...and another thing: do you only wash from batches that were not dry-hopped? Hop particles could be a problem IMO.

If you wash the yeast correctly, there is little to no hop trub/residue.

I tend to not use slurry from a highly hopped batch OR use a yeast slurry from a darker beer to pitch on a lighter beer.

Depending on quantity of slurry and age, a starter is sometimes necessary.
Check out Mr Malty or any yeast calculator for specifics.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

If it's more than a month old, you may want to consider doing a starter depending on how much slurry you have. If not, decant most of the clear liquid off the top of the slurry while it's still cold and separated. Some folks simply pitch cold slurry into their 60-ish degree wort and say it does fine, but I'm too chicken to do that.

Don't worry at all about about some trub coming along for the ride. There are plenty of yeast cells in that bottom layer. There's a growing number of brewers who are moving away from yeast "washing" with boiled, chilled water altogether. They simple store harvested slurry with a layer of beer on top and pitch that either directly or into a starter. I've recently started to become convinced of the rationale behind it and have a couple of beers lagering for which I followed that practice.

If it's more than a month old, you may want to consider doing a starter depending on how much slurry you have. If not, decant most of the clear liquid off the top of the slurry while it's still cold and separated. Some folks simply pitch cold slurry into their 60-ish degree wort and say it does fine, but I'm too chicken to do that.

Don't worry at all about about some trub coming along for the ride. There are plenty of yeast cells in that bottom layer. There's a growing number of brewers who are moving away from yeast "washing" with boiled, chilled water altogether. They simple store harvested slurry with a layer of beer on top and pitch that either directly or into a starter. I've recently started to become convinced of the rationale behind it and have a couple of beers lagering for which I followed that practice.

Interesting...let us know of the outcome of your experiment.

Latest posts

Back