DMS Concerns - Short Boil - Berliner Weisse

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt3989

Reaction score
A lot of what I've read about making a Berliner Weiss with a sour mash calls for a short boil to kill the lacto (and anything else) before pitching.

My concern is that because 50% of the grain bill is pilsen, a 15 minute boil will leave me with a lot of DMS.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Why it should or should not be a concern?

I'm thinking that because the gravity is so low ~1.030 and only half of that is contributed by the pilsen, there's not enough to produce DMS levels above the taste threshold.... But that's 100% guessing

When I do BW I do a no boil. Long protein rest, decoct to saccrification, then heat to mashout...run it straight through counterflow into carboy, pitch and bottle a week later...no DMS issues. However, I have no experience with the sour mash and how that might effect things.

I've done many sour mash/15 minute boil berliner weisses and never noticed any DMS. I hadn't even thought of being concerned.

Good to know bknife. I won't try to fix anything just yet then

Latest posts

Back