Short Boil DMS Concerns...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob2010SS

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Planning a kettle sour in which the grain bill is going to be 30% Pilsen, 40% 2 Row, 30% Wheat. As there's only going to be one hop addition at the beginning of the boil, I was thinking of cutting the boil time down to 30 mins (really just to save some volume). However, I'm wondering if DMS should be a concern with how much pilsen I'm using.... Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

You won't have any problems. I've done beers like that with no boil and there's no (perceptible) DMS. The Brulosophy experiment in this is worth reading too.

Thirded. You won't have any issues. I do 30 minute boils on all beers. Never have DMS, which has been confirmed by several of my brew club friends.

I have to boil beers with Pilsner malt for 110 minutes to eliminate DMS.

I also live at 7000 feet and boil at 201. The half life of the DMS precursor is twice as long. It’s still present at low levels even with a 90 minute boil.

As with a lot of off flavors people’s thresholds for them can be vastly different.

Back