DME vs. LME

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
but getting all of the liquid out of the can is damn near impossible.

Never had a problem with this at all. If it comes in a plastic jug I simply fill it a third of the way with hot water from the faucet, mine gets quite hot. I then cap it and shake it aggressively then pour it into my kettle. Has always gotten every last bit out. For a can I fill about halfway with hot water and stir, also has worked perfectly each time.

With DME I could never understand the clumping complaints. For one, don't pour straight from the bag. I pour into a large bowl the slowly pour from the bowl into the kettle as I stir it in with a whisk. No clumping problems. When doing the last bowls worth of DME I then scrape the bowl floor and along the edge where a little has clumped from the steam and stir it into the pot. I wouldn't dip a measuring cup in, the sudden temp change could break it.

Rev.

I've even filled the can 2/3 to 3/4 of the way up with hot water,stick my brewing spoon in,& spin it between my hands. Similar to the way one uses a whisk in a measuring cup. Just raise it up & down while spinning to pull that last bit of goodness.

So the age old question... If the LME is fresh, is it better than DME?

"Better"? No. But it tends to come in more varieties, like Munich extract and rye extract so if someone is making a rye beer, they can now do it with extract.

Dry extract is convenient, easily stored, and doesn't darken as much. But it comes in more generic types- like light, medium, and dark.

As far as constancy goes, I would say yes. I was never disappointed in a brew that had only DME + specialty grains. I can't say the same for LME + specialty grains.

Before I switched to all grain, I'd PM a couple pounds of base malt and the specialty grains in a bag in my BK. Then I'd use DME to bump up the ABV to where I wanted it.

WOW, that was interesting ... just like watching WWF

seems like some of you boys are full of piss and vinager LOL

RDWHAHB --- Why cant we al just get along?

Anyhow, my LHBS (Steinfillers in Long Beach, the best LHBS in the world by the way!) sells kits, like Betty Crocker cake mixes. All the kits I've purchased to date are LME. I was just wondering about DME because my LME is pre-measured into a vacuum sead bag. I sometimes feel like I am leaving too much behind so I warm it up a little in the microwave to "loosen it up" a bit so I can squeeze more out. My beers have all been better than many big brewer beers so I have been very happy with them.

Since I havent used DME I came here looking for answers, just to see what the differences may be, ease of use, etc. I guess I will just look for a recipe using DME and see for myself :)

Cheers Boys!
slow down and enjoy life a bit!

Thanks UglyDude for bringing this thread back to life I was searching for the ratio of DME to LME and just wasn't phrasing correctly. I've got some recipes I wanted to try that called for DME and wanted to try replace with LME.

Oh all methods of homebrewing are good, but my take is AG gives you the most options for creativity followed by LME, because of more choices in product, and then DME. Just my 2 cents and I've done a few AG but mostly DME

Thanks UglyDude for bringing this thread back to life I was searching for the ratio of DME to LME and just wasn't phrasing correctly. I've got some recipes I wanted to try that called for DME and wanted to try replace with LME.

Oh all methods of homebrewing are good, but my take is AG gives you the most options for creativity followed by LME, because of more choices in product, and then DME. Just my 2 cents and I've done a few AG but mostly DME

To use an over used cliche ... Its ALL good! cheers!

Being an extract brewer, I find DME makes a better beer than LME. One of the best Pales I've ever drank was a DME brew...

6 lbs pilsen light DME
8 oz crystal 40
4 oz maltodextrin

1 oz Columbus (60)
1 oz Columbus (15)
1 oz Columbus (1)

US-05

Too easy!!:mug:

Back