DME questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fischfam

Reaction score
I have brewed a few batches of a Bass Ale clone using 6# of light DME and they have all came out great. The question I have is that when it sits in the fermenter for a bit there is some sediment which is sort of cloudy/ mucky. Actually at the bottom of the fermenter there is quite a bit of sediment, almost as much as an AG batch. Is this stuff just the DME/sugar solids or something like that?

DME is just wort that is dried. Same thing as all grain wort once you add the water.
Trub is normal for both.

bosco

The stuff at the bottom of your fermenter is generally composed of the following:
- hot and cold break: proteins that are precipitated out of solution by rapid temperature change in the beer. This is good, insofar as these proteins can cause chill haze and potentially (?) affect the stability of your beer over the longer run.
- hop material from the additions you made during/after the boil
- yeast--living, dormant and dead

All of this is normal, no cause for concern. Just let as much of it settle out as possible, and try not to disturb it if you can when racking off to your secondary or bottling bucket.

Cheers

It'll look cloudy/grainy as it settles to the bottom to form trub & yeast layers,besides protiens & the like. Over the course of 3 weeks,I've found it compacts on the bottom,making it easier to rack off of. My current partial mash batch had 1L of sediment in the bottom,now compacted to about half or less of the original volume. You get clearer beer that way.

Thanks all, that's sort of what I figured but just wanted to know for sure. I really saw it when I poured some wort into a tube to got a hydrometer reading off if and noticed different readings between the unsettled wort and with the trub on the bottom and not in the wort.

Back