Dkershner's GF Pilsner(modified) next.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fermentedhiker

Reaction score
I'm thinking of using your Pils recipe slightly adjusted next. I've got a hybrid glutenous bock recipe in the works, but I thought I'd give yours a try as well.

I adjusted it a little bit for the quantity of ingredients I have, but it's still not dialed in.

3lbs Sorghum extract(that's what I have)
2lbs 10 oz BRS(two jars)
.5oz E. Kent 7.2%(60min)
.5oz E. Kent 7.2%(30min)
1 oz Hallertau 3.8%(0 min)

1lb Honey

Lager yeast(yet to be determined)

I think the OG will end up a little low as is, but I'm unsure what to add to bring it up without adding a nontypical(for the style) flavor........any suggestions?

Thoughts?

I think, without calculating, you will still be around 1.040, which should be fine. This is a pretty light beer. You skimping on the honey because you want the flavor to be a little more subtle?

You skimping on the honey because you want the flavor to be a little more subtle?

Exactly based on your tasting notes, I thought I would probably prefer it a bit less prominent. Especially since as a lighter beer extended aging(beyond the lagering) to allow the flavors to mellow doesn't seem the way to go.

Exactly based on your tasting notes, I thought I would probably prefer it a bit less prominent. Especially since as a lighter beer extended aging(beyond the lagering) to allow the flavors to mellow doesn't seem the way to go.

Yeah, the whole beer didn't taste like much, very light, but what flavor you did get was definitely honey.

Definitely don't age this thing, it's basically ready after a couple weeks of lagering, but I would probably go with a month.

You are making me want to make this one again.

So had you come up with any tweaks for next time I know you mentioned upping the BRS in favor of some of the Sorghum, but do you have any ideas for giving it a little nudge for more flavor?

So had you come up with any tweaks for next time I know you mentioned upping the BRS in favor of some of the Sorghum, but do you have any ideas for giving it a little nudge for more flavor?

Well, I would actually try for less flavor on this beer, something really light.

If you want to push for more, which flavor are you looking for exactly? On this beer, I was shooting for something lite lager esque with a dash of honey. It was close, but the honey was a little more powerful than expected. What exactly are you looking for?

1/2-1lb Amber Candi Syrup might add something nice.
Maybe just a touch of molasses?
Some of the malt flavored tea discussed in another post?

Just throwing out ideas.

I was wondering about how those might come through myself. Along the same lines;
.5-1lb Turbinado or
.5-1lb Rapidura

options......options...........:)

Those will just make it drier, which you might want to do anyway since you are leaving out some honey. If you roasted em a bit, they might have a similar flavor to the amber candi syrup.

hmmm I'd forgotten about that tea thread.

So I think this is what I'll do; add enough rapidura to make up the OG for what I'm leaving out in terms of honey, and add in some Assam tea if I can find it. Now I just have to figure out how much to use and when to add/remove it.

thanks.

Not yet, I'm wrapped up in putting a couple roofs on before the snow comes. I'll be brewing it sometime next week for sure though. I've got everything I need to make it set aside just waiting for a brew day.

So I ended up brewing it last night(just couldn't wait any longer).
OG=1.053@78F

The wort actually tasted pretty good. Kind of like a hoppy Chai tea. I'm really curious how this one will turn out. The final recipe is;

3lbs Sorghum extract(fermentis)(added at start of boil)
2 lbs 10oz Brown Rice Syrup(added at start of boil)
.5oz East Kent Goldings(7.2%) @ 60min
.5oz East Kent Goldings(7.2%) @ 30 min
1oz Hallertau(3.4%) @ 5 min
1 whirfloc tab @ 5min
1lb Rapidura @ 5 min
1lb Wildflower Honey to primary
20 Assam Teabags to primary

1 packet Saflager W34/70

Now it's all about patience :/

I think 34/70 was a good choice. I would use it myself next time.

The tea should be very interesting, definitely let us know your results.

Did my first taste tonight. Not bad. Very little head, but nicely carbed. Tasted like like a Pils. Definitely more of a session beer than my usual fair. A little bit of a slippery aftertaste from the honey. The tea isn't really discernable as a separate flavor, which is how it's supposed to be. If I do it again I'll up the bittering hops a bit and maybe try do something to give it a bit more backbone on the finish.

Here's a pic

http://www2.snapfish.com/snapfish/s...PictureID=116877690022/a=592267022_592267022/

So I've been away a loonng time but I'm back in the game a little now, and I want to revisit this recipe. I remember everyone loving it, even the non GF drinkers kept coming back for more. Debating about making some changes though.

Possible adjustments are;
Buckwheat Honey instead of wildflower to add a hint of complexity.(not sure if it'll be overdoing it)
1Lb of belgian candi sugar instead of the rapidura(not sure if it'll make a difference but I have it hanging around so why not use it)
Also thinking of going with Saaz and maybe Tettnang still mulling over timing and amounts

Any thoughts on the difference between using rice syrup solids and the Jars of Brown rice syrup?

Back