DIY Tap Handle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's my attempt at a homemade tap handle. Nothing special. Cost less than $10. I think it turned out nice....

NRS

Homemade Tap Handle.jpg

Homemade Tap Handle 2-2014.jpg

Made another tap handle today.
This one is an old weed wacker piston.

Cut and welded the rod to one of those bungs, then grinding, polishing and paint. I am going to keep this one for myself. The piston still rocks back and forth :mug:

sorry about the crappy phone pic.

downsized_0316141413.jpg

Finally got around to making a second handle. I am a Firefighter so I figured I would make a hydrant.

I made this last night using Sculpey Clay and a little paint. Made it in about 2 hours. Turned out pretty good! Finally have another handle instead of the black stock Perlick one. Makes me want to make even more. Just need ideas.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1419365837.121607.jpg

My father carved these many years ago. I am going to make tap handles out of some of them.
Sorry they are sideways.

tap handels.jpg

tap handels2.jpg

So I have these little guys
Threaded%20Brass%20Insert.jpg

I am trying to use them in 2X2X10 oak. I pre-drill with 1/2" drill bit and try to insert them however I am struggling with getting them to go in straight. Additionally, I dont think they are actually screwing in rather they are just boring out the hole. Perhaps oak is to hard for these? Just use a softer wood?

So I have these little guys
Threaded%20Brass%20Insert.jpg

I am trying to use them in 2X2X10 oak. I pre-drill with 1/2" drill bit and try to insert them however I am struggling with getting them to go in straight. Additionally, I dont think they are actually screwing in rather they are just boring out the hole. Perhaps oak is to hard for these? Just use a softer wood?

I've used those inserts a couple of times. Oak is hard to get them into. The last tap handle I made split. I glued it back together, drilled the hole oversize and glued the threaded insert in place.
Next time I will drill out to just barely smaller than the insert, and maybe even try beeswax on the threads.

Yes oak is too hard if you are trying to screw them in with a flat head. Use a bolt that threads into it with two nuts to lock it on. Then use a power drill or impact drill gun to drive it in. I've done it into oak and hickory. It is still hard to get straight though.

Yes oak is too hard if you are trying to screw them in with a flat head. Use a bolt that threads into it with two nuts to lock it on. Then use a power drill or impact drill gun to drive it in. I've done it into oak and hickory. It is still hard to get straight though.

[emoji106]🏼 yep, this helps, too.

Correct. I am doing the nut and bolt method and still no dice. I thought for sh!ts and grins I would try on pine. No problem. Perfectly straight. Oak it just too hard for these I guess. Ill get by with some epoxy then and try that.

I've used those inserts a couple of times. Oak is hard to get them into. The last tap handle I made split. I glued it back together, drilled the hole oversize and glued the threaded insert in place.
Next time I will drill out to just barely smaller than the insert, and maybe even try beeswax on the threads.

Maybe try an actual tap rather than rely on cutting threads with them? I would think a tap would be a better tool for hard wood.

Maybe try an actual tap rather than rely on cutting threads with them? I would think a tap would be a better tool for hard wood.

Assuming you meant thread the oak tap handle to screw right onto the faucet, I tried that and it didn't work very well. The handles had too much play and wiggled around. I think there are threaded inserts with male machine threads...it might work on those.

When I made mine I ended up filing the first few coarse threads on the brass inserts. If I remember correctly I used the sanding drum on my Dremel. I only removed a little bit of material but it really helped to get the insert started. Then also use the bolt plus jam nuts method.

Assuming you meant thread the oak tap handle to screw right onto the faucet, I tried that and it didn't work very well. The handles had too much play and wiggled around. I think there are threaded inserts with male machine threads...it might work on those.

When I made mine I ended up filing the first few coarse threads on the brass inserts. If I remember correctly I used the sanding drum on my Dremel. I only removed a little bit of material but it really helped to get the insert started. Then also use the bolt plus jam nuts method.

No, I mean cut the threads for the insert into the handle with a regular tap, then epoxy the insert into the handle to hold it tight.

Haha! Me either. Wish I would have known that. Well at least now I'm excited to make another one.

here are my latest. green skull is a shift lever from Wally World, a spanner wrench(done on this thread already), and a 30mm cannon shell from an AC-130 I got from a member here from a real Mission in Iraq (got the note of authenticity and everything!). I got a polymer fake projectile and painted it to match the HEI round. I punched out the primer and drilled/tapped it. there's plenty of material at the bottom of those things.

I have a shell from an Apache helicopter (from same member) that will get a hand made wood projectile. I'll post it when it's painted.

tap handles 2015.jpg

for you penniless DIYer's out there like me, we used a bench grinder to get the wood dowel close to shape and then fashioned up a poor mans lathe with a wood screw in one end and a nail in the vice for the other(2 man operation). with sandpaper, we got the projectile rounded and any bumps and misshapes cleaned up. bottom pic is what I was trying to make it look like.

IMG_20150718_150709.jpg

screenshot2.jpg

I hope you meant "sander" and not "grinder" for shaping thad projectile!

If you used a grinding "stone", then you should probably swap it out.

They can "load up " when used on non-ferrous items, and can disintegrate during operation.

Can leave a nasty knot on the head, or face, or teeth, or...........;)

interesting. I did not know that. I knew it loaded up a bit, but not heard of it coming apart as a result. it was a buddy's bench grinder. we'll look it that.

Back