DIY Stainless/Lexan Sight Glass

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lextasy23

Reaction score
So I'm thinking of making a DIY sight glass out of a couple 1/4" 90-degree NPT to tube fittings I have. I bought an eBay lot of stainless fittings a while back and I have a ton of these leftover:

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1441899496.594429.jpg

So my plan is to take two of these - one on top and one on the bottom for strength, use a washer/gasket like any other weldless bulkhead fitting, and make a sight glass.

Here's the tube I'm considering:
http://www.amazon.com/48-Polycarbonate-Round-Tube-Clear/dp/B00FDWXFVG/ref=sr_1_10?s=industrial&ie=UTF8&qid=1441897899&sr=1-10&keywords=1%2F4+OD+1%2F16+wall+lexan+tube

I figure I'll have a ton of tube left over, and a lot of fittings, so I'm tempted to sell them as a kit.

The problem is, it's only 1/8" ID tube. Clogging isn't a concern for the HLT, but certainly is for the boil. Cleaning would be a PITA.

Thoughts and suggestions?

Last edited by a moderator:
That's similar to what I did, but I used the high temp silicone hose. It's good up to 500° and won't crack or break with a full pot of hot liquid spilling out. I did use a short piece of 3/8 stainless tube going into the compression fitting to attach the silicone hose to. I can send better pictures for clarification if interested.
View attachment 1441908337353.jpg.

Attachments

• 1441908384343.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 441
I did that with those fittings but I wish I hadn't done the return. First it's harder to clean. Two, once the volume gets to the top fitting, you can no longer see the volume. Three, assuming that you're doing weldless, those fittings don sit exactly square against the kettle so the sight glass ends up having a bow in it. Mine broke one time.

Maybe you'll have better luck.

I did that with those fittings but I wish I hadn't done the return. First it's harder to clean. Two, once the volume gets to the top fitting, you can no longer see the volume. Three, assuming that you're doing weldless, those fittings don sit exactly square against the kettle so the sight glass ends up having a bow in it. Mine broke one time.

Maybe you'll have better luck.

1. You're right about the cleaning - i feel it's going to be a PITA for the kettle. I'm thinking of just doing this for the HLT since that's just water, and etching marks for the kettle, since that should be a lot easier because the water additions to mash (then kettle) are done in the HLT anyways...

2. Mine will be in a Bayou Classic pot, and the top fitting will be at the absolute limit of the pot. Don't see that being a problem, and if it is, it'll be negligible (less than probably a half gallon).

3. That's why you add a washer to either side, and torque the snot out of it. All my fittings sit perfectly squarely as a result.

I am definitely worried about breaking it though, that's still a concern. I may step it up to larger tube and fittings, but I really just wanted to use what I had in stock...

I have thought about it and I think I won't do mine in the BK. I don't really need to measure that for my batch sparge brewing. If I feel I have to, a quick dip with a stainless rule I have will tell me how much is in there.

I would like it for the HLT so I can run the right amount of water into the mash tun. In that case is cleaning really necessary? I think if you wanted to clean a T at the top would facilitate a long handled brush just fine.

I have thought about it and I think I won't do mine in the BK. I don't really need to measure that for my batch sparge brewing. If I feel I have to, a quick dip with a stainless rule I have will tell me how much is in there.

I would like it for the HLT so I can run the right amount of water into the mash tun. In that case is cleaning really necessary? I think if you wanted to clean a T at the top would facilitate a long handled brush just fine.

I'm with you.

My buddy is trying to convince me to do the etching on both, I just think the sight glass is cooler looking lol.

Back