DIY Conical Fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Todd said:
Well the biggest is probably size. Splitting a large batch up between buckets could suck. Plus there is no need to transfer.

There are some downsides. The size, it is harder to cool a large fermentor.

as well as one step fermenting. Let your beer ferment out, then dump the trubb and yeast, there you go....your now in your secondary fermentation. Also its very easy for yeast collection.

Chimone said:
as well as one step fermenting. Let your beer ferment out, then dump the trubb and yeast, there you go....your now in your secondary fermentation. Also its very easy for yeast collection.
That's my main reason. I'm also planning an AG setup with a counter-flow chiller. A fair amount of the proteins/trub are going to end up in the fermenter as the wort chills in route to the fermenter. I like heavier beers, which means a lot of crap in the bottom. Sure would be nice to dump that junk out the bottom after the first week and never have to transfer to a secondary again. :rockin:

Ten gallon batches are in my future too. Much easier to deal with in one fermenter than two!

DrewsBrews said:
The lid appears to be relatively thin. What about welding a ring of thicker stainless to the lid around the edge?
You're right about relatively thin - it's 14 ga material, and it has some minimal warping from welding the corny top onto it. I tried four latches tonight, and sure enough, it leaks, but not terribly. I'm going to add that collar you describe - here's my source for the flat bar.

For the rotating racking arm, I kinda copped out and just bought one. Here's the link for that.

"Prove me wrong and provide a cheap and efficient method of cooling and I will buy a couple/few."

Hey Spyk'd
Bear with me as I'm not an engineer and in no way wired like one but what about using a few peltier devices strategically placed on the conical. Yuri_Rage certainly has the capacity to machine aluminum heat sinks for the "heat" side of the peltier device and I believe you can even stack the smaller modules to gain greater cooling capacity. I guess the problem would be attaching to the outside of the stainless.......hum, didn't think about that but maybe a curved aluminum spacer to which the peltier is permanently attached and then the curved aluminum is attached by bolts that are welded to the outside of the conical. Just an idea to toss out there but might be costly.

runhard said:
"Prove me wrong and provide a cheap and efficient method of cooling and I will buy a couple/few."

Hey Spyk'd
Bear with me as I'm not an engineer and in no way wired like one but what about using a few peltier devices strategically placed on the conical. Yuri_Rage certainly has the capacity to machine aluminum heat sinks for the "heat" side of the peltier device and I believe you can even stack the smaller modules to gain greater cooling capacity. I guess the problem would be attaching to the outside of the stainless.......hum, didn't think about that but maybe a curved aluminum spacer to which the peltier is permanently attached and then the curved aluminum is attached by bolts that are welded to the outside of the conical. Just an idea to toss out there but might be costly.
This looks interesting. ...and cheap. A few of these around the fermenter with heat-sink compound on both sides, wrap it with a metal band to hold them on, attach some heat sinks to the metal band, direct a fan across the whole works... It just might work!

Yuri_Rage said:
This looks interesting. ...and cheap. A few of these around the fermenter with heat-sink compound on both sides, wrap it with a metal band to hold them on, attach some heat sinks to the metal band, direct a fan across the whole works... It just might work!

I think morebeer.com uses these for their heated and cooled conicals. I wonder how cold these will get?

Yuri_Rage said:
You're right about relatively thin - it's 14 ga material, and it has some minimal warping from welding the corny top onto it. I tried four latches tonight, and sure enough, it leaks, but not terribly. I'm going to add that collar you describe - here's my source for the flat bar.

For the rotating racking arm, I kinda copped out and just bought one. Here's the link for that.

Yuri, are those suppose to rotate from the outside? It looks to me like something you would set from the inside by loosening the flare nut.

Todd said:
Yuri, are those suppose to rotate from the outside? It looks to me like something you would set from the inside by loosening the flare nut.
Yes, they rotate from the outside. The flare nut doesn't tighten down against the side of the fermenter, rather it tightens against the fitting that comes in from the outside, squashing an o-ring in the process.

Yuri_Rage said:
Yes, they rotate from the outside. The flare nut doesn't tighten down against the side of the fermenter, rather it tightens against the fitting that comes in from the outside, squashing an o-ring in the process.

See I am learning all sorts of things here. So when you rotate the fitting is slides on the Oring? Seems like it would leak..

Next question. Why is that needed? I understand wanting a test port to get readings and such but if you are dumping the yeast out the bottom why would you not just rack from the same port? It seems like you could save the $50. Am I missing something?

Yuri I have another question about cooling. I've seen the electronic do dads but they say they use a lot of juice to run.

Have you seen Brewpastor's setup? I'm wondering if you could do the copper coil on the inside of your lid, then use a smallish fridge or the top of a freezer to cool the coolant, a small pump should handle the duty. I think most who get a fermentor this large already have a spare fridge. you could use a love switch to control it.

Any thoughts?

Granted the electronic setup would be cool but I think till you had it sleeved and all you are looking at quite a bit more money.

Todd said:
See I am learning all sorts of things here. So when you rotate the fitting is slides on the Oring? Seems like it would leak..

Next question. Why is that needed? I understand wanting a test port to get readings and such but if you are dumping the yeast out the bottom why would you not just rack from the same port? It seems like you could save the $50. Am I missing something?
Yeah, I was a little leary, but for $50, they better work. It did hold water during an early test. The idea behind it is that you get absolutely no sediment in your bottled/kegged beer. Because of the conical shape, your loss from those bottom 2 or 3 inches is quite minimal. Certainly you could rack from the bottom, but you'd probably lose the same amount by waiting for the sediment to clear. Also, the dump valve on my design is much larger at 1", and the racking port is only 1/2," so you'll get finer flow control.
Todd said:
Have you seen Brewpastor's setup? I'm wondering if you could do the copper coil on the inside of your lid, then use a smallish fridge or the top of a freezer to cool the coolant, a small pump should handle the duty. I think most who get a fermentor this large already have a spare fridge. you could use a love switch to control it.

Granted the electronic setup would be cool but I think till you had it sleeved and all you are looking at quite a bit more money.
I've seen pics of the Pastor's setup, and I've also personally used a sleeved fermenter when sitting in on someeone else's brew. I'd sleeve the fermenters, but that would immediately take them out of the price range I'm shooting for (cheaper than the Fermenator), and it would require a lot more time with a lot more risk incurred by doing that much leak-proof welding. Glycol in a small chest freezer works really well, either through a sleeve or a coil, but I doubt it's very much cheaper than the electronic stuff. Either way, you're gonna need a temperature controller, and you'll need a pump for the glycol setup. I'm just going to build a fermentation closet on the back porch that includes a small window A/C unit, a heating element (of undetermined type right now), and a Ranco temperature controller. I'll post pics of that in another thread when I start building it.

Yuri_Rage said:
Yeah, I was a little leary, but for $50, they better work. It did hold water during an early test. The idea behind it is that you get absolutely no sediment in your bottled/kegged beer. Because of the conical shape, your loss from those bottom 2 or 3 inches is quite minimal. Certainly you could rack from the bottom, but you'd probably lose the same amount by waiting for the sediment to clear. Also, the dump valve on my design is much larger at 1", and the racking port is only 1/2," so you'll get finer flow control.

I've seen pics of the Pastor's setup, and I've also personally used a sleeved fermenter when sitting in on someeone else's brew. I'd sleeve the fermenters, but that would immediately take them out of the price range I'm shooting for (cheaper than the Fermenator), and it would require a lot more time with a lot more risk incurred by doing that much leak-proof welding. Glycol in a small chest freezer works really well, either through a sleeve or a coil, but I doubt it's very much cheaper than the electronic stuff. Either way, you're gonna need a temperature controller, and you'll need a pump for the glycol setup. I'm just going to build a fermentation closet on the back porch that includes a small window A/C unit, a heating element (of undetermined type right now), and a Ranco temperature controller. I'll post pics of that in another thread when I start building it.

Sounds good. Thanks

Todd said:
Sounds good. Thanks
No sweat, man. Glad you (and other folks) are interested. Obviously I'm fascinated with stuff like this, and I'm more than happy to share the experience as it progresses. Feel free to jump in with suggestions/comments anytime!

Just to throw in my two cents, I've read that JZ Cools his wort, racks to his conical and then because his sanitation is good waits overnight to pitch yeast. Before pitching he dumps the trub out the bottom. He states that it really helps his lagers in particular where there is no place for off flavors to hide. Keep up the great work Yuri.

Yuri, I'm not exactly sure what a tri-clamp is or why they are so special, but I noticed that SABCO sells two 15.5 gallon fermenters, and the more expensive one uses a Tri-clamp to secure the lid. Would something like that work for the lid on your conical?

The SABCO looks like a pretty nice setup and is less expensive than a conical, but of course, it lacks the bottom trub dump and yeast collection capabilities, so it is not as functional either.

Click on the pictures on these pages for a closeup:

SABCO fermentor - tri-clamp version
SABCO fermentor - economy model

I also like the small brass valve they used on the economy model to connect the airlock. Similar to what you did, but probably a less expensive part.

beer4breakfast said:
Yuri, I'm not exactly sure what a tri-clamp is or why they are so special, but I noticed that SABCO sells two 15.5 gallon fermenters, and the more expensive one uses a Tri-clamp to secure the lid. Would something like that work for the lid on your conical?

The SABCO looks like a pretty nice setup and is less expensive than a conical, but of course, it lacks the bottom trub dump and yeast collection capabilities, so it is not as functional either.

Click on the pictures on these pages for a closeup:

SABCO fermentor - tri-clamp version
SABCO fermentor - economy model

I also like the small brass valve they used on the economy model to connect the airlock. Similar to what you did, but probably a less expensive part.
I think tri-clamps are a bit more leak-proof than other quick-clamp devices. However, I looked into that, and the Sabco version uses a size specific to their keg opening. The same clamp would not work on the 21" diameter fermenter I'm building. I wish it fit, as it looks like a nice seal.

As to the post about using tri-clamps for the racking arm, I think that's perfectly reasonable, as I'm sure there's a 1/2" NPT to tri-clamp fitting of the size you show.

I found a good source (between Northern Brewer and McMaster Carr) for stainless ball valves. It was only marginally more expensive to use the stainless one vs the mini brass one.

Yuri,

did you notice that the fermenator uses a clamp for the main lid, I wonder if it is custom made? Also wonder what a local fab shop might charge to make something like that. Should not be too expensive or hard if you tried it yourself.

Next question. Is it possible to let the beer naturally carb in one of these and then bottle right from the fermentor? The reason I ask is it would be nice to not have all the yeast in the bottom of the bottles plus it might cut down on time till I can drink it.

I understand it would need to hold pressure, I'm curious how much? Would a normal bottle filler work at that point or would I need something fancy?

Any updated pictures?

Todd

Todd, I looked at the Fermenator quite a bit before starting this project. Ideally, I'd like to use a clamp like theirs for the lid, but I never came up with a source for one or a good means of making a similar one. I've gone down a different road at this point, and I think I've got a means of sealing that will work. Assuming my method is successful, it should probably hold the 10-12 psi required for carbonation. The last parts I need should be here tomorrow. I'll post pressure test results after I fabricate the latch system and test it.

Yuri_Rage said:
Todd, I looked at the Fermenator quite a bit before starting this project. Ideally, I'd like to use a clamp like theirs for the lid, but I never came up with a source for one or a good means of making a similar one. I've gone down a different road at this point, and I think I've got a means of sealing that will work. Assuming my method is successful, it should probably hold the 10-12 psi required for carbonation. The last parts I need should be here tomorrow. I'll post pressure test results after I fabricate the latch system and test it.

Great sounds good.

I think the clamp they use is a simple strap, probaby 18g or less. Then there is a loop on each end, one side has a "nut" the other a "bolt". In order to make the seal they use V shaped peices tack welded to the inside of the strap. It should be fairly easy for you to fab something like that up. If you ever wanted to try.

I know you set a keg setup to 10-12 psi but does a bottle see that much also?

Todd said:
Great sounds good.

I think the clamp they use is a simple strap, probaby 18g or less. Then there is a loop on each end, one side has a "nut" the other a "bolt". In order to make the seal they use V shaped peices tack welded to the inside of the strap. It should be fairly easy for you to fab something like that up. If you ever wanted to try.

I know you set a keg setup to 10-12 psi but does a bottle see that much also?
From what I can tell, the Fermenator lid doesn't have a "lip," so the clamp you describe works quite well. My lids have a 1/2" lip, which makes things a bit more difficult.

Bottles probably see just a touch higher pressure on average, certainly with transients (temp changes and agitation) well above 10-12 psi. Force carbonation is usually done at a higher pressure as well (20-30 psi).

Well not to hijack the thread but I found this at work today. I work at a power plant and this was an Emergency Eyewash station. It is SS and in perfect swhape. We had to change styles because of the feds. Anyway It is 36" high and 12" across. Can anyone tell me roughly gallons??

Im thinking a fermentor or something. Any ideas anyone. Im very curious. I love DIYing stuff so this is right up my alley for my backyard brew station.

Thanks everyone. Be Creative Im open minded.

:mug:

The prototype is done! Well, as done as it's gonna get before I put beer in it for the first time. The lid still doesn't quite seal, even after strengthening it. It's so close, I think if I find a softer, wider gasket material, it'll seal well.

complete.JPG

strengthenedlid.JPG
4688-inside.JPG

That is beautiful.

Do you think you'll run a risk of contamination from the lack of complete sealing?

When you going to take it for a test ferment?

It actually takes a few pounds pressure before it starts leaking, so I'm not worried about it. I just can't use the CO2 transfer method until I get the seal to hold (not that I need to - it's up higher than a corny).

I was dead set on brewing this weekend and filling that thing up with 15 gallons of amber ale, but I never finished the brew closet. Broke my heart to put my REALLY healthy starter in the fridge tonight. I think I'll try and brew this week sometime before work.

That thing is a beauty. Very nice. Would you ever be interested in selling some? I'd gladly drive to NM and hand you cash for one! :D

Brewsmith said:
That thing is a beauty. Very nice. Would you ever be interested in selling some? I'd gladly drive to NM and hand you cash for one! :D
Actually, that's my plan. I have four more in the works. I'll have a price and details worked out in the next week or two.

Cool. You're not exactly close to Los Angeles, but I'm always out to Arizona, so then you're only a state away! That is of course all the way through Arizona first, but it's practically next door...;)

Yuri:

I seem to recall that you're at least thinking about chilling your conical. As I mentioned in my post in brew-stands, here is a link from another tinkerer that built quite a contraption for chilling his conicals.

http://www.brewcommune.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=1697

This kind of thing is just up your alley.

Anyhow. Enjoy!

Dan

dhempy said:
I seem to recall that you're at least thinking about chilling your conical. As I mentioned in my post in brew-stands, here is a link from another tinkerer that built quite a contraption for chilling his conicals.

http://www.brewcommune.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=1697
Very cool (literally)! I'm building a chilled brew closet, but I'll keep this in mind if I start using more than one conical fermenter. Thanks for the link!

Yuri,

Are those pits on the inside of the cone? or is it just dirt and lighting making it look like it is pitted.

I like your design and will consider building one myself someday. I wish I had seen your posting prior to yesterday, I would be ordering the parts now.

Garry

atomrat said:
Yuri,

Are those pits on the inside of the cone? or is it just dirt and lighting making it look like it is pitted.

I like your design and will consider building one myself someday. I wish I had seen your posting prior to yesterday, I would be ordering the parts now.

Garry
Actually, that's water from a recent leak test.

Thanks for the compliment on the design - I copied a bit from "The Fermenator," but the corny top was my idea. I'm planning on selling a few if you don't want to spend the time making one yourself. Of course, in my book, that's well over half the fun!

Brewsmith said:
Cool. You're not exactly close to Los Angeles, but I'm always out to Arizona, so then you're only a state away! That is of course all the way through Arizona first, but it's practically next door...;)

Cool, want to pick me up on the way? I may get one of these too.

I'm interested as well, depending on what the final price works out to be.

You game to make more than four of these to sell if there's demand, Yuri?

beer4breakfast said:
I'm interested as well, depending on what the final price works out to be.

You game to make more than four of these to sell if there's demand, Yuri?
Depends on how the finances work out. I think it'll be somewhat profitable without breaking the bank for the bros here. An early estimate puts the price around $550 + shipping (I think I can ship 'em UPS ground for $30-$40). A comparable sized Fermenator will cost you around $700.

That sounds great. You can basically put me on the list for one. It will be a couple of months before I can save up my nickels, and I need to get my temperature controlled fridge up and running first, which will require some electrical modification to the garage. I might actually still opt for pick up. Where are you in NM anyways?

I'm in Alamogordo - about an hour east of Las Cruces and a little over an hour north of El Paso. A month or two is a good time frame, as they don't take that long to make, but I'd like to ferment a batch in the one I've completed to make sure I don't have any unforseen issues.

Yuri_Rage said:

YURI I can't find that racking arm, now much was it? I see northern brewer has one for $99

Yuri_Rage said:
The link still works - AHB $49.99.

That is odd, when I was trying to search it kept bringing back no results, now this morning is works. Oh well, maybe they had a server problem.

Thanks.

did you have any problems with leaks or anything with it?

Back