DIY Beer Line Cleaner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Out of curiosity what air compressor do you use? No reason to worry about oil/nasties?

Sorry just saw this question now. I have a porter cable oil-free compressor. it's one of the small red ones. Also FWIW I usually use CO2 to push my starsan out of the keg on the last step, I just use the compressor for the hot PBW and a few water rinses after that.

Going to pick up the parts for this today, my lines definitely need a good cleaning! :mug:

this is how I clean my lines, sort of. I made an adapter to connect my air compressor to the gas in post, and I just use the PBW and starsan I use to clean kegs and run it through my lines from the keg. Easy and it works well.

I like this idea. I've been using the pump-up diy device for a while and it works fine. But I also have a small oil-less compressor and a lot of kegs including 2.5gal kegs.

I recently put this together and I can't get a good seal between the plastic and the brass adapter. I have wrapped lots of teflon tape and slowly rotated it on making sure it threaded properly but as I pump it and pressure builds up I get a lot of leaking.

Has anyone else had this problem? I got the same fitting as per the original post :confused:

I could not find a fitting that would join the plastic threads to the post. I cut the plastic threads off and turned the post onto the remaining outlet, the steel threading the smooth plastic. It drips a tiny bit.

Although I'm a Dylan fan, this guy is more deserving of Nobel prize. Clear concise writing, and it works perfectly.

Here's what I built years ago thanks to a post in this thread. Now I'm kegging homebrew and I'd really like to figure out a way to quickly swap between the Sankey female collar and a ball lock post. Any ideas?

IMG_20170304_113534.jpg

IMG_20170304_113543.jpg

IMG_20170304_113553.jpg

IMG_20170304_113606.jpg

Put one of these on your ball lock beer disconnect...

Cheers!

That could work but what im looking for is to set up a way to swap the coupler with a post. I have MFL ball lock disconnects. I know there has gotta be a way but i'm too lazy to try to engineer it myself.

I guess I could figure out a way to put a swivel nut on the end of my pump. Then I could put a MFL fitting on the coupler with a small leader of hose. I guess I need a barb to swivel.

I guess the swivel would be at the end of the hose not pump.

I wish I could find the original post where I got the idea for this cleaner so I could get the sizes of the hoses and fittings I used.

This wont work I want to be able to swap between a liquid post and the sankey collar. Theres gotta be a way.

This wont work I want to be able to swap between a liquid post and the sankey collar. Theres gotta be a way.

Something like this? This threads on the ends of your Sankey collar and then you just connect your Corny posts to your sankey collar. Your connection to the lines would be the same for both kegs. Not sure if this is exactly what you are looking for, but I have a set and makes switching from Sanke to Corny super easy.

https://www.kegoutlet.com/hk521b-sa...irLWT4onEbgehaIgdlYV16rnmp2-4vxOWAaAvwA8P8HAQ

Here's what I built years ago thanks to a post in this thread. Now I'm kegging homebrew and I'd really like to figure out a way to quickly swap between the Sankey female collar and a ball lock post. Any ideas?

Maybe one of these would work for you. It has the male corny keg adapter. The barb fitting does screw off. The male end might fit the swivel you have attached to the end of the hose.

https://www.brewhardware.com/v/vspfiles/photos/CarbonatorSSbarb-2T.jpg

Maybe one of these would work for you. It has the male corny keg adapter. The barb fitting does screw off. The male end might fit the swivel you have attached to the end of the hose.

https://www.brewhardware.com/v/vspfiles/photos/CarbonatorSSbarb-2T.jpg

That might do the trick! You only posted a pic though. Do you have a link to the product? I was just at Bobby's shop last week too.

I just got this.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0078RHEAW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I think this will help too, but still requires an extra step. Barbed end goes at the end of the pump hose. Then I just have to unscrew the bev lines from the MFL disconnects and screw onto pump line.

Last edited by a moderator:
That might do the trick! You only posted a pic though. Do you have a link to the product? I was just at Bobby's shop last week too.

I just got this.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0078RHEAW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I think this will help too, but still requires an extra step. Barbed end goes at the end of the pump hose. Then I just have to unscrew the bev lines from the MFL disconnects and screw onto pump line.

Trying to find it using by phone is difficult. Call him and tell him you are looking for the Carbonator Stainless Steel Barb combination.

Where did you find that sanke adapter? I might build one of these if I find it!

All of them.
I clean one line at a time, if that's what you mean. Are your draft lines very long?
My longest is 20 ft. I suppose it should work. I just may need to pump more. I have 50 ft total. Would be nice to be able to do them all at once.

I do have a submersible pump that I use for cleaning carboys, buckets and kegs but it's not powerful even enough do my 15 ft lines.

I run two taps, 6 ft lines. last weekend I cleaned them, just cycled hot pbw using my wort pump (and my brew kettle as the source, so I could connect it with the valve. in one intertap with growler fitting, then ran a splicer for the liquid lines, tied them together, then out the other tap with a growler filler. did that for 20 minutes, gave it a 20 minute rest, ran it again for 20 min, then cleaned the kettle and filled with 3 gallons of clean water, and ran through it to rinse. the one line that was just starting to show discoloration when drained is now as clear as can be... again.. the other was a silver barrier line and it showed no discoloration. i do run clean water and sanitizer between kegs... first time really cleaning them out good.

I run two taps, 6 ft lines. last weekend I cleaned them, just cycled hot pbw using my wort pump (and my brew kettle as the source, so I could connect it with the valve. in one intertap with growler fitting, then rana splicer for the liquid lines, tied them together, then out the other tap with a growler filler. did that for 20 minutes, gave it a 20 minute rest, ran it again for 20 min, then cleaned the kettle and filled with 3 gallons of clean water, and ran through it to rinse. the one line that was just starting to show discoloration when drained is not as clear as can be... again.. the other was a silver barrier line and it showed no discoloration. i do run clean water and sanitizer between kegs... first time really cleaning them out good.

I need a better submersible pump. Mine isn't even powerful enough to clean one 15 ft line.

I did have a spare unused sprayer like described in the original post of this thread and was able to rig it up to clean my lines yesterday. (different way than described here). Tried it on my 15 ft line. It worked... But I had to pump it constantly. I guess better than using a co2 and good short term solution until I get a more powerful pump

I build one up with a 40oz flo-master sprayer. I took the white seal out of the green nozzle that usually sits against the sprayer and put it in my brass fitting. No leaks! Have not used it on lines but connected a spare liquid disconnect and all works great!

Sprayer: $5 (walmart)
Liquid Post: $16 shipped (brand new)
Connector: $5 (local hardware)

$26 well spent! If the sprayer has an issue, I can buy another :)

I've used this set-up for about 10 months (actual use) now, and it works GREAT! I run HOT water through the lines after a keg kicks, usually 2 sprayer bottles full does it. Then I run BLC mixture through, I'll run half a bottle, let it sit 5 minutes, the other half, then repeat, then another 2 bottles of HOT water again (HOT tap water, that is), and then let it clear out and it sits 'till I clean the keg (usually same day) and I'll then run Star-San solution through the lines, using the keg (ensures a sanitized dip-tube!)

I use an empty 1gal water jug under the beer faucet to collect all liquids. Works great! For $26, I have a very good line cleaning system!

Now, since I'm approaching the 1 year mark, I need to cut new line and toss the old. I'm also going to take the faucets out and clean them, too.

Five years since the original post and still going strong!

Built mine last weekend. Had to use silicone sealant to prevent the tiny leak between the spray and the adapter.

Bought the keg post from here:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/151639048104

Love it and can't wait to try it out!

Well, it's been a year and so time to update. The silicone didn't hold, believe it or not. It started dripping. Not a huge deal -- unless you have Starsan in it and travertine floors (Starsan will etch the tiles!). So I removed the silicone and used some thick, yellow PTFE tape made for gas pipes. That seems to be working well so far.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Oatey-1-2-in-x-260-in-Yellow-PTFE-Tape-31403D/202078116

53dba3a5-3df0-41fd-bd6a-1a476c5f817d_1000.jpg

Ran around and bought the parts for this today. Online Home Depot didn't show the brass parts in stock. Lowes did.

B&K 3/8-in x 1/4 in threaded coupling coupling fitting $4.89 (yes coupling is twice)

B&K 1/4 in x 1/4 in threaded coupling union fitting $1.99

Don't buy the Project Source Plastic Tank Sprayer $5.98. The coupling fitting won't fit.

Home Depot still has the hand sprayer for $7.32

I work next to Lowes and Home Depot is 2 miles away on the way home. The brass fitting threads on easily to the Flo-Master. This works great if you don't mind unscrewing the liquid ball lock connector.

First off, it's great that they still sell the same sprayer, a 3/8 FIP x 1/4 FIP coupling and a 1/4 MIP x 1/4 MFL union.

Thanks to geniz and everyone else that helped out with this post!

My Flomaster has a nice small crack on the seam and doesn't hold pressure very well. I resealed it but leaks a little.

Looking for a replacement I came across this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002YNSADU/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

It's $14 and can hold a gallon of liquid.

What are the chances that the nozzle is the same between this and the flowmaster?

My Flomaster has a nice small crack on the seam and doesn't hold pressure very well. I resealed it but leaks a little.

Looking for a replacement I came across this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002YNSADU/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

It's $14 and can hold a gallon of liquid.

What are the chances that the nozzle is the same between this and the flowmaster?

They have these types of sprayers at local stores for a similar price. Best to just and check it out for yourself in the store. Makes it easier to return too.

Insane necropost... I followed the instructions per this thread and my ball lock corny keg post does not thread onto the 3/8 flair fitting. I even sawed off the flair cone so nothing was getting in the way. Does anyone know if there are different ball lock fitting sizes? I'm not sure where to go from here since the post won't even thread on enough to be "close enough".

I just realized that the keg post was Firestone. I have corny. Muh bad. I ordered a Firestone keg post.

Bump?

I just realized that the keg post was Firestone. I have corny. Muh bad. I ordered a Firestone keg post.

Bump?

That should do it. I'm assuming the sprayers haven't changed over the years but who knows. Mine's still going strong.

wrt to the "right" post, it's all about threading onto the brass fitting, not the spray nozzle.
Pretty sure the Firestone beer post is the only one that'll reasonably thread onto that fitting...

Cheers!

appreciate the research on this line cleaner approach. I purchased the 3/8" FL - 3/8" FIP brass fitting from amazon, then went to Lowes and purchased the multi purpose sprayer, one gallon from roundup. I have several old used soda kegs and pretty sure they are firestone post, screwed the brass fitting on the post without a problem, but had trouble screwing this on to the sprayer wand, but with a little extra effort it went on, no leaks, works great

Would there be any benefit in rigging up a pond pump recirculating system that would flush the lines continuously for a half hour or so while I'm cleaning out the keg? Or does the cleaning solution work in one pass regardless of contact time? I love letting my kettle recirc hot PBW while I clean up other stuff, takes all the work out of it.

Would there be any benefit in rigging up a pond pump recirculating system that would flush the lines continuously for a half hour or so while I'm cleaning out the keg? Or does the cleaning solution work in one pass regardless of contact time? I love letting my kettle recirc hot PBW while I clean up other stuff, takes all the work out of it.

Yep! Check out www.homebrewfinds.com/2012/11/recirculating-draft-line-cleaning-build.html for a description and even a shopping list. Works great!

Latest posts

Back