Diversol Suckback...Safe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Delaney

Reaction score
Hey,

So a few days ago I brewed up a lager. I pitched warm and cooled overnight. I made the mistake of using a blowoff tube. Because of the cooling effect, there was significant suckback. I also made the mistake of pouring a pretty large amount of diversol as well as potassium metabisulfate into the wine bottle being used for the blowoff tube (more than could go into solution)...

I'm wondering if I should even let this thing ferment/taste it...Maybe I should just chuck it?

Without knowing what diversol is or how much of everything went into the fermentor, I don't see how anyone can tell you what the effects will be.

Personally, I believe that pitching a lager warm is not the best practice. Also, if you had cooled it first none of this would've happened.

That said, next time use Star San, It won't hurt anything if some gets sucked back.

yeah, I realized all of these things in hindsight...I'll dump it. Depressing indeed.

Back