Disaster Brew!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jq1n

Reaction score
So here's the sitch. Everything was going along great for my 3rd batch of beer ever. I sanitized like crazy, I hit all my temps and even got within 4 points of my target OG. The problem started when I forgot to put the damn immersion chiller into the boil 15 min before like I always have. For some reason I got it from the drying rack (it had been washed with dish soap, rinsed and dried an hour or more earlier) and dropped it in after the boil. The second thing that went wrong is at the bottom of my kettle, after the wort was cooled I found 2 dead wasps. It's September in Ontario and those bastards are everywhere. Both of these things can totally F up my beer but what say you fine folks. Am I dead or should I be expecting to drink this delicious delicious ipa in 4 weeks? It's irrelevant but it's Mr Cheeks Simcoe/Citra IPA from this site's recipe section. Can't wait to drink it.

Last edited:
If the wort was > 190 degrees after putting the coil in, it should be fine. Same for the wasps. If the wasps jumped in after the wort was cool you might have an issue, but as long as you pitch fast and hard, the bugs might not have time to get hold. Plus in an IPA, the hops are somewhat antibacterial.

In the future, put a lid on. Also, if you think this is "disaster", trust an "absolute catastrophe" awaits you...

-BD

While IDK what the chillers effect would be, seems the wasps shouldn't hurt your beer any. The boil probably killed anything they were carrying, and if you leave them in, they might even become partial yeast-food.

:p

You aren't the first this year to have a stinging insect or two in their wort! RDWHHAB, at least as far as the wasps are concerned.

Sounds like some of the jitters I had for the first few years of brewing. Every time I was worried about bees, blowing cottonwood fiber and such, I found they usually didn't pose a problem. If you pitch an adequate amount of healthy yeast, it will usually out compete any minor bacteria picked up during your process. That, along with the fact that the beer will usually be consumed within a reasonable period of time, insures that any adverse effects will be minimal. This is especially true if you keg.

Save some water and energy. Drop in the IC after flameout for "free" chilling. I always do that -- on purpose.

I never add wasps on purpose, but I wouldn't let that bother me either.

So the "Disaster" was from the perspective of the wasps, I suppose.

So here's the sitch. Everything was going along great for my 3rd batch of beer ever. I sanitized like crazy, I hit all my temps and even got within 4 points of my target OG. The problem started when I forgot to put the damn immersion chiller into the boil 15 min before like I always have. For some reason I got it from the drying rack (it had been washed with dish soap, rinsed and dried an hour or more earlier) and dropped it in after the boil. The second thing that went wrong is at the bottom of my kettle, after the wort was cooled I found 2 dead wasps. It's September in Ontario and those bastards are everywhere. Both of these things can totally F up my beer but what say you fine folks. Am I dead or should I be expecting to drink this delicious delicious ipa in 4 weeks? It's irrelevant but it's Mr Cheeks Simcoe/Citra IPA from this site's recipe section. Can't wait to drink it.

The Wort would still be hot enough to kill nasties on the immersion chiller - sweet as there.
And as for the wasps - Wasp flavourred beer ! Ive heard of some weird additions to brews but this is the best - "Indian Pale Ale with hints of wasp"
Tell us what it tastes like - we have lots of Bumble bees here where i live so i might try it.:D

Sounds like a great reason to name this brew after the passing wasps. Poor little fellas.

"Flaccid Stinger IPA"?

Awesome. Ok so I should be fine. The "disaster" was that two things went wrong instead of the usual 1 lol. I thought maybe the IC going in late was enough to doom my beer. Can't wait to try this beer. I've never had one with Citra. It doesn't seem that common of a hop in recipes I've seen.

Quit wasting time here, hurry up and get busy patenting your BeeBeer! (or WaspStout, or whatever)!
:)
rtfj2.jpg

Think anyone allergic to wasps would be adversely affected? You know like how some one with a peanut allergy can be affected by a candy bar that's just been packaged in a facility that makes products that contain peanuts.

I can't imagine that it would after all the heat. Wouldn't they just be allergic to the sting?
Anyway, I had a peak through the airlock hole and krausen is up and everything is going nicely. Airlock is bubbling like crazy. This is the first beer I've brewed with Citra. Wow that stuff is so fruity smelling. I know it will taste more mellow when it's done but wow. Not sure I'll use Citra again. It smells like I'm making mango beer. Still can't wait to try it.
I'm officially addicted to brewing. Already ordered another pile of ingredients and gonna get a second fermenter going. I need more bottles!

To follow up, this turned out amazing! Exactly what I was going for.

IMG-20151019-WA0002.jpg

P_20151019_191519.jpg

I skimmed every response and didn't notice this mentioned. stop cleaning your chiller with dish soap. It is unnecessary and can possibly ruin your head.

Really? Wow never heard of that before. No dish soap on anything or just chiller? Something to do with the copper?

Sorry to get off topic. Just a little dish soap residue could kill head retention. Rinse everything before and after you use it, but your carboy should be the only thing you need to use soap on. But since you put your chiller in late, it may be a good thing you washed it with soap first. All other times, just use a brush and rinse then put in kettle.

I once found a couple of flies floating in the krausen.. fished them out and didn't worry about it........Brewed a stout last fall with real pork in it..... Unfortunately I can't claim that a piglet jumped in....... that would be a good story. Pork chop stout made with Nelson Sauvin....It was an exceptional stout......I used pork gelatin after slow cooking a pork roast in water with no seasoning whatever..... just so I could say it had real pork in it. The Nelson Sauvin was an inspiration...... I'll do it again (without the pork which added nothing but bragging rights).

H.W.

Back