Disassembling Temperature Probes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thrillhouse

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I received three temperature probes with my panel years ago (pictures attached). I'm finally setting up my system and the thermowells do not fit my Stout kettles. The NPT is fine but the probe thermowell is too large. I can't for the life of me figure out how to detach the sensor from the thermowell/NPT fitting to replace it with something suitable. Does anyone know if there is a way to disassemble this to reattach a thermowell that fits?

Attachments

• PXL_20210814_180006761.jpg
    PXL_20210814_180006761.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 20
  • PXL_20210814_180010572.jpg
    PXL_20210814_180010572.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 21
You can proably cut them open and pull the probes out but it's likely you'll get "naked" probes without any form of steel casing. If as I assume you bought these probes pre-assembled the probe (which just looks like a transistor) was most likely packed into the thermowell which was then tightly filled with metallic oxide dust for optimal thermal conductivity. As I wouldn't try doing this at home you're probably better off just buying new probes that better fit your new equipment.

You can proably cut them open and pull the probes out but it's likely you'll get "naked" probes without any form of steel casing. If as I assume you bought these probes pre-assembled the probe (which just looks like a transistor) was most likely packed into the thermowell which was then tightly filled with metallic oxide dust for optimal thermal conductivity. As I wouldn't try doing this at home you're probably better off just buying new probes that better fit your new equipment.

Thank you for the reply. I was thinking that may be the case but I didn't want to pull the trigger on new probes if these were salvageable. I actually will be buying these:

https://www.auberins.com/index.php?...ducts_id=469:fb3d14ad72c87d56f9884d29759847ea
Because the stout kettles have welded thermowells in place. I very much appreciate the info!

I received three temperature probes with my panel years ago (pictures attached). I'm finally setting up my system and the thermowells do not fit my Stout kettles. The NPT is fine but the probe thermowell is too large. I can't for the life of me figure out how to detach the sensor from the thermowell/NPT fitting to replace it with something suitable. Does anyone know if there is a way to disassemble this to reattach a thermowell that fits?
You should be able to cut the probes off twist the wires together put some heat transfer paste inside the thermowell. Put the wire inside the thermowell and hold it in place with a strain relief that screws into the thermowell.

Back