Disassembling a spigot - Mold

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NPK

Reaction score
Did my third batch, a Brewer's Best Robust Porter, and I thought that I HAD to do a secondary fermentation. Therefore, I did my primary fermentation in my bottling bucket. Now I am having some mold issues inside the spigot and it has some funky smells.

I know this is from inadequate cleaning (despite washing and rinsing), and the spigot needs to be taken apart. I thought it would be as simple as pulling the red valve part out then pulling out the part that rotates, but I haven't had any luck. For 2.50 buying a new one is definitely an option, but I wondered if you guys had any advice.

Thanks!

PS: The batch is bottled and everything is fine, but I want to disassemble and clean my spigot.

Some of them can be hard to pull apart, but that is now it works. I'd pop it out and clean it and soak in a mild bleach solution for a bit then rinse well.

You may end up with leaks doing this, but as NPK says, they are cheap. I'd buy a couple and keep them on hand. If you are only using this as a bottling bucket, it probably won't leak enough to make it useless right away.

Next time you use it, take it apart when you clean it. Just rinsing always seems to leave a bit of food for the bugs.

I've fermented all of my beers in spigoted fermenters for years with no problems. Here's how:

1. pop the red part out by holding on to the threaded part of the spigot while pushing the red part down on the counter and twisting it open and closed. It will pop out easily.

2. Soak it in a hot oxyclean bath and twist the end back and forth--but don't remove it

3. Rinse while twisting the end around.

4. Store the threaded body, spigot (red part) removed, and nut in a tupperware container full of star-san.

5. Assemble on brewday.

6. If the spigot is not on a fermenter in use, then it's in star-san

Back