DirecTV question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
olllllo said:
Just so you know. I twill be virtually impossible to watch the same show in the kitchen as the other sets due to different schedules and synch.

Satellite is several seconds slower than OTA and just annoyingly slower than cable. You're going to get an annoying echo at best.

Word that.
My folks just got a dish. Watching an Eagles game (depending on the network), I'll turn the TV volume down and tune in the local radio announcers.
So now the radio is calling the plays and the TV is at least 3 seconds behind.
Radio: "TOUCHDOWN"
TV: They just snapped the ball.
Me: WTF?
unwatchable.

So I went back to the TV's color(less) commentary...

Before switching, I'd suggest complaining and threatening to leave. It's amazing how much free stuff companies are willing to throw at you if they think you've got one foot out the door.

Of course, they may call your bluff, but that's fine too. My cable company did that to me and I switched my internet service to DSL. When the "cancel guy" tried to change my mind, I told him the internet was a done deal, but if he wants to talk cable TV, he best sharpen his pencil because that's going next. Now I have my same cable package for about 25% less than what I was paying before.

We just decided to switch all of our phones and stuff to Time Warner. Moving from DSL to cable, getting our cable upgraded from just basic to digitial cable (getting back a LOT of channels that I've missed since we moved), and having unlimited land-line calling - and saving something like $20 - $30 a month in the process.

So last night, 8:00, we get an overnight package, from Verizon. They must have JUST gotten notice from TW that we were moving, so they sent out a panic-letter saying "we'll give you a package deal for LESS MONEY!"

So, I should call them up and see what kind of deal they will offer (since I'd like to move our cells over to Verizon, as well) - but I hesitate with the DirecTV bit (Verizon's all-in-one package uses them for TV). I've just heard too many bad things, here and elsewhere, while I know that my experience with digital cable for the two years we were living in Greenfield had been generally very positive.

the_bird said:
We just decided to switch all of our phones and stuff to Time Warner. Moving from DSL to cable, getting our cable upgraded from just basic to digitial cable (getting back a LOT of channels that I've missed since we moved), and having unlimited land-line calling - and saving something like $20 - $30 a month in the process.

So last night, 8:00, we get an overnight package, from Verizon. They must have JUST gotten notice from TW that we were moving, so they sent out a panic-letter saying "we'll give you a package deal for LESS MONEY!"

So, I should call them up and see what kind of deal they will offer (since I'd like to move our cells over to Verizon, as well) - but I hesitate with the DirecTV bit (Verizon's all-in-one package uses them for TV). I've just heard too many bad things, here and elsewhere, while I know that my experience with digital cable for the two years we were living in Greenfield had been generally very positive.

Find out the offer, and if it's better, tell your existing company that they need to match ir or you're leaving. They'll most likely do it.

Not sure if it's really relevant any more, but my experience with Direct TV has been really good.

Besides losing a signal during a storm or something along that line, everything has gone very smoothly, and we've had them for about 6 years now.

Actually, I think I've had the best experience with their customer service than nearly any other customer service ... the key is you just need to say the right things. When we moved, we got them to switch our set-up from rental to owning and got the mover's package for free. And when I upgraded to HD, we got a free upgrade (though the package was only intended for new customers) for free as well (equipment and 3 mo. free).

Latest posts

Back