Diptube stirring and wort chiller Question?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zrab11

Reaction score
Alright So my Birthday was December 21st and I got various brew supplies from my family.

I got some Ball valves, Dip tubes, and temp gauges, sight glass.

So I have 2 cut out kegs and decided to make one a Brew Kettle and the other one a HLT.

So I added ball valve diptube, thermometer and sightglass to HLT

and added Ball valve diptube and thermometer to Brew Kettle.

All the supplies was from brew hardware.

So I have done mupltiple Extract but NO all grain Batches. I plan to do one in Januray.

Well here are my questions. After installing the ball valves with diptube in my keg How do I stir my brew kettle?

DO I just stir in a Horseshoe shape pattern to avoid hitting the dip tube?

Also What about my wort chiller?

How am I supposed to put my wort chiller in the kettle with the diptube in the way??

Has anyone run into these problems?

Are diptubes not really needed till you get pumps? SHould i not use them until I get a pump in the future.

Thanks so any help you can be!

Just go ahead and stir around, your not going to hurt the diptube. I would hitting your thermometer though. As far as chiller, just put it down on top of the diptube, it will be fine.

Dip tubes are designed so you get more of the wort/liquid out without having to tilt the kettle. As far as stirring goes, stir as normal, just don't stick the spoon in all the way. It won't hurt the dip tube if you hit it a few times. For the chiller, like was already said, just drop that bad boy in. Be mindful of the temp probe but it too won't get hurt if it gets hit by the spoon/chiller.

Only time you'll run into issues with the chiller is if you do a small batch in the Keggle (5 gal) and the dip tube keeps the chiller from being suspended. Other than that you should be in great shape.

Back