Dip tube Blocked need help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike1978

Reaction score
ok so the situation went down like this......i was preparing to dry hop a batch and transfer to a secondary while pitching a new batch on the yeast cake. I added my dry hops and went to pitch my new batch when i realized the lid to my other fermenting bucket was missing! Living in the woods like i do there are no LHB stores near by, so with that in mind i had no choice but to keg my batch that i had just dry hopped. I put it on gas and let it sit for 8 days I tried to filter out as much as i could but to no avail my dip tube keeps getting blocked up no matter what. I tried making a filter for the dip tube but it didnt last but a few pours. Basically what im thinking is autosyphon the batch back to my carboy and putting it back in my keezer for a week then putiing it back in the keg and RE carbonate. Can i do this or will the beer go flat? This has never happened to me before and dont want to lose this batch cause it was delicious.

If you have a extra keg you could attach a filter (I like 1 gallon pvc paint strainers you can pick up from the hardware store) to your racking cane and rack to another keg. I would be hesitant to put it back in to a fermenter once carbed and then trying to recarb.

Is it getting blocked by trub or hops? If hops, pellet or leaf?

Personally, I would depressurize, remove out post, remove dip tube and unclog, insert back barely into keg and try to wrap a sanitized 1 gallon paint strainer bag (2pk at Lowe's) around dip tube with a 4" zip tie (pack of 100 at Lowe's). It should work like that. If you want to get it off the hops, you can make a keg-to-keg jumper and move it to a new keg.

I would not autosiphon it anywhere...I think it's a recipe for oxidation at this point.

I dryhop in the keg all the time. I previously used a 1 gallon paint stainer bag, but now using a SureScreen-like product. The problem with using the surescreen now is that it'll slide off when you slide the dip tube into the keg. It doesn't lock onto the end of the dip tube.

I attached a 1lb hops bag to the end of my racking tube and transfered it to a new keg. i noticed it looked very cloudy when i transfered it. I used pellet hops and that is what was clogging the dip tube. Is there anything that caused the cloudiness or is it just because i've been moving the keg and beer so much? It taste great but looks like cider.

I attached a 1lb hops bag to the end of my racking tube and transfered it to a new keg. i noticed it looked very cloudy when i transfered it. I used pellet hops and that is what was clogging the dip tube. Is there anything that caused the cloudiness or is it just because i've been moving the keg and beer so much? It taste great but looks like cider.

It's the hop haze and the fact that you are moving it around and stirring up the hops. Pellet dryhopping can lead to a lot of cloudiness.

Back