Digital vs. Analog Temp gauges for Keggles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigTuna

Reaction score
I am in the process of building a new rig and would like to use digital sensors to monitor (not control) the temps in my HLT and MLT. I know I need a simple digital gauage, similar to a love controller, a thermowell and a sensor. Any suggestions? Like I said, I don't need to control temp, just monitor.

Thanks!
Kevin

Also, a quick update. I would like to monitor the mash temp from the outside of the valve. What adapter do I need to connect to my valve? Is it as simple as a 2 way valve?

The probe fitting is definitely the way to go. I just ordered one of THEESE Because I'm tired of replacing cheapies, Though they're
not so cheap after ya replace a bunch of them. I like the remote probe 'cause I can hang it up and set alarms ETC. and use it for other projects.

I have a semi automated RiMs which recirculates the whole mash. I have a probe fitting in the MLT and one in a TEE at the pump.
The only difference is the one at the pump is where my Temp controller probe is.

Do you recirculate your mash? I will be and i'm most concerned with getting an inline temp readings from the MLT after the valve when circulating. I still may pick up the remote digi temp probe for my HLT but I'm not sure if that will work for my mlt.
yup, i recirculate both my mash and my BK (for whirlpool and for chilling).

below are a few pix of my kettles. not the best pix, they're close-ups of shots taken during a group brew-day with buddies (so the focus of the pix at the time was us goofing off). the red arrow in the first pic shows the compression fitting for the MLT. there is no thermometer in it because the mash was finished so i removed it. this system works great.

temp1.jpg

temp2.jpg

temp3.jpg

Back