Digging out spent grains with a ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

springinloose1

Reaction score
I bought the 20 gallon SS Brewtech mash tun that I'm using for the first time Saturday and I have to say... I'm impressed with the construction! This thing is a BEAST! It's definitely not a nice lightweight Home Depot cooler that I've been used to the last 8 years but it was pretty warped and plus I wanted to brew bigger beers without DME so I splurged and I'm happy thus far... Now I'm trying to figure out the most efficient way of emptying it when I'm all mashed out because I'm definitely not carrying it to the field any more to dump. What is everyone using to dig spent grains out of their mash tuns of this size? I'm thinking about a beach shovel and just scooping it all in a couple 5 gallon buckets but figured I'd reach out and see if you all knew of a better way.
Thanks!

Tip to dump out grains into a trash bucket, the majority will fall out, then wash the remainders out.

Gotta start lifting some weights n eat big, then you can toss 50lb sacks of grain across the garage.

Hahaha, yeah... I knew I was setting myself up for the "lift weights" comment, but the dang tun itself is about 50 pounds, lol! Plus another 40-50# in grain... 12oz curls isn't going to get it done

Hahaha, yeah... I knew I was setting myself up for the "lift weights" comment, but the dang tun itself is about 50 pounds, lol! Plus another 40-50# in grain... 12oz curls isn't going to get it done

this is very low energy, srs

you need high energy:

1 qt measuring cups work awesome. I've been using one for a long time, just for this job. Get cheap plastic ones, but look for a thick handle if possible. I got mine at the local grocery. You can see mine hanging on the edge of that mash tun there. With the handle angling down like that, you can scoop very effectively.

To get the grains to the dump area (woods behind house), I've got a really cool wagon that has large pneumatic wheels, and it tips/dumps great. Home Depot, thank you!

_mg_1908-67879.jpg

_mg_1909-67880.jpg

I have a 15 gallon tun, do 11 gallon batches that start with ~20 pounds of dry grain. While the BK is coming ot a boil I use a stainless long handled spoon to scoop to a 5 gallon bucket that gets dumped on the gravel around my new garage to rot and build soil so I can get grass to grow instead of weeds... although the area is big enough I might plant it to wheat or barley on the east side just for fun!

I use my metal mash paddle, but with over 50lb dry weight, I am liking the carved gallon milk jug idea... :)

I wonder if Gators in Florida are attracted to spent grain?
Around here, its groundhogs and deer.

I use a BIAB in my cooler mash tun, its pretty fast to pull the bag out and dump it.
For a big mash tun I guess you could get a bigger bag and some kind of hoist if you can't manage that much weight. It would be quicker and easier than scooping it out.

I steal whatever scooper looking thing my wife has in a kitchen cabinet. Then try to remember to wash it and put it back before she notices it missing :)

If I had the energy I would have a 1” - 1 1/2” inch dump port in my MT, post mash I would flood the kettle with water, stir well and send it to an ejector pump then straight to the compost pile out back....

I’m surprised no one has come up with a method to pump a slurry of spent grain out for disposal...wouldn’t be that difficult or costly

I realize this is an old thread, but I'm intrigued by the idea of using the pump you posted. Have you used this yourself, and if so, how well does it work?

I have not used a sewage ejector pump to move spent grain. I have used one in a basement bathroom for over 20 years.
I have had fleeting thoughts after carrying 15g batch spent grain bills up and out of the basement brewery to the woods behind my house, and thought an ejector pump and a slick line could move the spent grain easily :)

I envision pumping a watered down version of the grain bill....guessing 4-8 qt/lb....w/ a mash tun with an oversized drain valve say 1 or 1 1/2”, a discharge hose to match.

Idk, maybe it would work beautifully or perhaps fail miserably. Ymmv lol

If I don't dump the mash tun (converted cooler) upside down onto the compost pile, I scoop out the spent grain using a plastic, ground coffee container such as Folgers, they have a built-in handle. Those, as well as cut off laundry detergent bottles and such, also work well to scoop water out of kayaks and boats.

If you didn't want to engineer a hinge mechanism for your brew stand, you could always hook up two pulleys to your garage rafters...first one overhead of your MT has a Y-splitter and connects to your handles by carabiners...second one at least 12 feet away (or three rafters) connects to a "belly-band" installed around the base of the MT. For this think of a Velcro moving strap with a built in D-ring... Could make this yourself easily since it's not heavily loaded...
Basically you hook up to the first pulley and lift the thing, can do double or triple loops to cut the weight down to manageable levels
Once you've hoisted it, tie down your rope to a tie-off loop on the wall and use your second rope to "tip"...
Obviously you've moved your brew stand by this point and put a trash can underneath

Sounds like a circus act :D

fwiw, I have the 16 gallon body with casters from a dead shop vac that I position under the edge of my MLT and use a large plastic scoop to get enough of the grains out to remove the FB then lift the MLT and dump what's left. I then strap it to my two-wheeler to take it over to the neighbors' chicken coop.

I do aspire to a tippy-dump mod but it's way down the list of projects right now...

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back