Different yeast for bottle carbing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grad

Reaction score
Hello,
I've just purchased some WLP775 cider yeast and plan on using it soon. After primary is complete I plan on racking to a secondary carboy and adding super kleer. I'm concerned that once it's crystal clear it won't carb. Would it be ok to add a small amount of champagne yeast such as EC1118 or 71B to help it carb? Or will that change the flavour profile of the finished product? The whole reason I'm trying this type of yeast is that I want to see the difference from the champagne yeast I usually use.
Hoping someone has tried this before and can offer some advice.
Thanks!
Grad

I use pectic enzyme in cider and after secondary it's crystal clear. Never had a problem bottle conditioning afterward. I've seen people suggest adding a pinch of yeast if the cider has sat for 5 months or more, and I'd be likely to use the same yeast it was made with.

Ok thanks for the response. I'm thinking that there's two possibilities to ensure reasonably quick carbing. The first would be sucking up a tiny amount of the lees into the bottling bucket. Maybe 1/4-1/2 a second just to get a TINY bit of the yeast in. I only would worry that the clarifier could cause off flavours? The second would be to take a small amount of the starter I make and seal it in a jar, keep it in the fridge and then put a few drops into each bottle before capping. I think the first option is easier and makes as much sense. Does either of these sound worth doing?

Ok thanks for the response. I'm thinking that there's two possibilities to ensure reasonably quick carbing. The first would be sucking up a tiny amount of the lees into the bottling bucket. Maybe 1/4-1/2 a second just to get a TINY bit of the yeast in. I only would worry that the clarifier could cause off flavours?

Don't even think about using the lees. Super Kleer has a horrible medicinal taste. DAMHIK.

That WLP 775 put out a significant sulfer aroma and flavor during bottle conditioning in the low 60s (not so much during primary fermentation). Faded with time but was quite unpleasant. Not sure how it happened.

If I were to ever use it again (which I likely never would) I would try a separate strain for bottling.

Back