difference between dried and liquid malt extract?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewnoob007

Reaction score
Hello everybody I'm new to the forum and brewing and just got into partial mashing. My question is is their a difference in whether or not I use dried or liquid extract? I noticed a lot of recipes ask for dried in the beginning and liquid for late addition. Is thier a particular reason? I just brewed up a Belgian Witt though with the liquid at the beginning of the boil. Will my first batch still be alright?

I hate dried. If you want to use the liquid counterpart instead, just multiply the weight of the dried by 1.25...eg 3.1 lbs. DME = 3.875 lbs. LME. The same can be done for liquid to dry if you want. Just divide instead of multiply.

No they are effectively the same thing. Liquid just has less water removed than the fully dried. I always preferred dried when I was doing extracts just because getting all the syrup out of those tubs is a PITA. Your beer will be fine! It really makes no difference.

Both can be used interchangeably but pound for pound DME has less water content and a correspondingly higher PPG (points per pound per gallon).

Higher gravity points in DME

Screen Shot 2015-08-06 at 6.21.16 PM.png

More colors of LME are available I think so that could be one reason for using it. Also certain malts e.g.: Maris Otter is available in LME form but i don't believe it can be gotten in DME form.

Someone with more extract experience will hopefully correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks! Very informative helps a lot. Really dig this forum by the way, lots of questions already answered before I ask, just by browsing topics. Can't wait to try my first sip of my first batch, hope it doesn't suck. :)

I use DME for priming bottles and will be using it for starters as well. I prefer it because it stores more easily and I only use small amounts. It's also easier to measure IMO. I'll usually grab a few pounds from Yakima Valley Hops since they tend to have good prices.

DME is definitely less messy than LME & is used in the boil for less Maillard reactions. That is to say, it darkens less readily than LME. Since I do partial boil, partial mash with 4-8lbs of grains, I only need a couple pounds of extract to get to OG. For that reason also, I use the mixed mash & sparge wort to come up to boil volume. In my 5 gallon kettle, that's about 3 1/2 gallons. I then add the extract, DME or LME, at flame out. Since the wort's still boiling hot, & pasteurization happens in seconds @ 160F, Bob's your uncle.

Back