Didnt top off to 5 gallons

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

csdrums

Reaction score
OK first time brewing this past Sunday. I had a pot big enough to boil 5 gallons of water so I did. Now that it's been in the fermenter for 4 days and I've been doing some extra research for my next batch I realize that I didn't bring the wort back up to 5 gallons. Rookie mistake, anyway what will this do to my brew and is there any way to fix it at this point?

I wouldn't worry about it; unless you feel like boiling and cooling a gallon of water, just let it ride.

Basically, you'll have a higher gravity than you anticipated. With a vigorous boil, you might get down to 4 gallons, which would bring a planned 1.050 beer up to 1.063, for instance. Did you take a hydrometer reading?

In essence, you'll have less beer, but probably with a heavier body and definitely a higher ABV.
See how it turns out!

I didn't take a reading. Too much excitement and not enough knowledge, but I'll let it ride who knows maybe its just what it needed. Ive already learned so much since Sunday. I'm picking up a carboy tomorrow to start my second batch before the first is even done.

csdrums said:
I didn't take a reading. Too much excitement and not enough knowledge, but I'll let it ride who knows maybe its just what it needed. Ive already learned so much since Sunday. I'm picking up a carboy tomorrow to start my second batch before the first is even done.

Welcome to the obsession!

Welcome to the insanity. This hobby is worse than crack. Before you know it you'll be sniffing airlocks and peeping into dark fermentation chambers with a flashlight at 2 in the morning.

2am peeping, check! Haven't sniffed any airlocks yet though....... Ok now I have.

I am a closet sniffer, myself. I just can't help it. Those airlocks call out to me, "Ryan, come a little closer... you know you want to breath in my lovely esters and delicate hop aromas. It's ok, I won't tell anyone..."

You *could* actually still top it off. Just make sure you boil the water and cool it before you do, and then if you do, make sure you mix it in well. But don't mix oxygen in at the same time! In other words, stir gently.

If it were me though, I'd probably leave it as is and chalk it up to a learning experience that you won't make on future batches. I'm sure it'll still taste just fine anyway.

"I'm picking up a carboy tomorrow to start my second batch before the first is even done."

I would purchase another fermenting bucket instead.
You will use it more often.

Just my .02

If you're doing extract and steeping grains, your OG is pretty much guaranteed to be what the calcs say. Just plug your actual volume and all your ingredients into tastybrew and see what it spits out. That will surffice for this batch. But next time take a hydrometer reading!!!

"I'm picking up a carboy tomorrow to start my second batch before the first is even done."

I would purchase another fermenting bucket instead.
You will use it more often.

Just my .02

I'll second this. I bought the "fancy" kit with the glass carboy for secondary. I used a secondary on my first batch and haven't since. I have started doing some BIAB 3 gallon stovetop batches that it works wonderfully for. However, if I had to do it over I would have three 5 gallon buckets instead of two buckets and a carboy. I'd have a few bucks in my pocket as well.

Followed the advice and picked up a second fermenting bucket instead. Also picked up a dunkleweisse kit and a Belgian white kit. Sunday will be a double brew day! I can't wait!

csdrums said:
Followed the advice and picked up a second fermenting bucket instead. Also picked up a dunkleweisse kit and a Belgian white kit. Sunday will be a double brew day! I can't wait!

Awesome!

Back