Didn't think it could happen to me.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Conan

Reaction score
Hi all. Had my first stuck fermentation today. How many batches have I brewed, 50? Made a Moose Drool clone on July 18th. I checked it today and it's at 1.034. It's the first beer I put in my new fermentation chamber (that holds 6 buckets, minimum!). I needed to force chill two batches from 100 to pitching temp on the 25th, which means the chamber was 40F for a few hours. Do you think this cold crashed the yeast? I stirred the stout today, hoping to get it going again. The chamber has been at 66 since the 25th, but was turned up to 68 tonight. SG was 1.091 using a 900months starter of WYeast 1335. My plan is to give it until Sunday night, then pitch some S-05. Mash was at 156, and prior versions finished at 1.015. Thoughts? Kyle

First, if the yeast starter is 900 months old, you may not reach full attenuation. I would pull the carboy out of the fermentation chamber and let it warm up. Since you have attenuated approximately 2/3 of the way through, risk of off flavors are minimal. The warmer temperatures should spur further yeast activity and promote full attenuation.

Thanks for the reply. 900mL starter....the kindle I'm typing on likes to make things up. I haven't been alive for 900 months.
The temp is set to 68 now but if there's no activity I'll pull it out. Kyle

Latest posts

Back