didnt have time the bottle so off to the secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drunde77

Reaction score
This is my third batch that I am doing. I have had this in the fermenter for 4 weeks. I was planning on bottling this weekend, but instead of being brewer, I was babysitter. I pit this in the secondary glass carboy. I heard leaving this in the bucket too long can be bad. Can I bottle this after a week in the secondary or should I wait? It is a sierra Nevada clone.

You'll be able to bottle. The month it sat in the primary was good for it. It should be a good brew.

At this point you can go ahead and bottle at your leisure. Next week, next month, 6 months from now....though I suppose with a SNPA clone you don't want to wait too long for fear of all its hoppy goodness falling off.

Even leaving it in the plastic bucket one more week wouldn't have hurt it at all. O2 permiability isn't something that happens quickly. It takes some months down the road for that to happen. I've had big beers take 5 weeks to finish in plastic with no ill effects.

There was no need to rack...you should have just left it alone. Another week wasn't going to matter. Many of us have left beers in buckets 6 months to a year in buckets with no issues.

In actuality if you were afraid of oxygen exposure, you actually INCREASED the risk of oxygenating your beer by racking it then you did by leaving it in the bucket.

Most of what people just "hear" seems usually to be wrong.....or misunderstood.

Back