Didn't cover carboy, shake now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brak23

Reaction score
I brewed approx. at 5pm last night (16 hours ago about). I forgot to shake my carboy to aerate it. Its not making the sounds like its in rapid fermentation, so given that should I go ahead and shake it now? Or would that harm it and I should just be leaving it be and going about my day?

A little more information about your recipe would help. I would just leave it. I don't try to make adjustments after the yeast is pitched.

Yeah, I would leave it too at this point. It might take a bit longer to begin, but it will eventually get itself going.

Slowly back away from the carboy

If you give us the recipe(or at least the fermentables) and the yeast we can give advice with a more detailed reason. Without a recipe all we can say is your best bet is to just let it go.

Oatmeal stout with Og of 1.052.
It has:
1 lb amber dme
3 lb Maris otter extract
3 lb dark extract
.5 lb choc malt
2 oz black patent
.5 lb crystal 60L
1 lb flaked oats
2 oz black roasted barley
.5 lb pale ale malt
1 oz horizon hops

And 2 vials of British ale yeast (liquid)

You should be fine. I wouldn't recommended doing anything with it either way but with a beer that low you shouldn't have any problems.

You may have some issues with the dark extract fermenting. I usually avoid extract darker than amber. I only use that for making stouts.

To be honest I really don't aerate much anymore. I mostly pour it into a bucket and pitch. I am not gentle when I pour.

Leave it alone.

The point if asking the fermenter whe pitching yeast is to dissolve oxygen in the wort. Yeast need the oxygen during the aerobic (with air - specifically oxygen) phase of their lifecyle when they are building cell walls and, for want of a better term, bulking up getting ready to dive into anaerobic growth.

The aerobic portion of the life cycle will be over by now. The yeast will have used whatever oxygen they could scavenge in the wort. Since this is an extract and steep recipe, you probably didn't boil the entire mash for 60 minutes or more. Likely, you didn't remove too much of the dissolved oxygen in your wort. The yeast won't be as strong or healthy as they could have been, but they're not cripples struggling to survive, either.

Shaking or adding oxygen at this point would be detrimental to your beer. It would promote oxidation as the yeast aren't likely to take up much of the oxygen you'd be stirring in.

I highly recommend using check lists. Even after many, many brew days, I still find a check list invaluable. There's just too much to remember and, alas, I do not brew everyday...yet...

And, if that's the worst thing you did with this batch, it'll still be tasty. Send a bottle over to our home office in Portland fir them to ship down to me. I'd love to taste this one.

Thanks guys,

Typically I have had some active fermentation at this point. But its been 24 solid hours and there is very little activity at all. Like I mentioned, I used two vials of British Ale Yeast (White Labs), and I know every beer is different on when they will start active fermentation and what not. But typically I have always had some pretty aggressive fermentation at least starting by this point.

Im sure it will be fine by tomorrow, but when is the "panic" timeframe for no active fermentation. Is it 36 or 48 hours?

If the specific gravity has not fallen at all in 72 hours, then you can panic. Until then, relax!

Brak,
The short answer that most gents will give you is 2 days ... as if there really is not any active fermentation you want to address it as quickly as possible as your wort is most vulnerable to contamination prior to active fermentation. But below is the proper answer.

What are your parameters of "Active Fermentation"? if your just watching the airlock then there is no panic time frame until you take a hydro reading (remember to sanitize your equipment!!!). If your using a glass carboy and it's been at least 48 hours then IMO you can re-examine what do to next, but only based on a gravity reading, I had a batch just the other day that was in one of them plastic buckets, showed no signs of fermenting what so ever and this morning i did a gravity reading to see what was going on, and she's spot on to where she should be. To many gents rely on that air lock to bubble the important thing is what your gravity readings are. Thats my two cents. Hope it helps.

Back