Did you all have a name for your "brewery" after one batch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been "Naked City Brewing Company" since I started brewing in 1991. I wanted to combine my two passions, classic film (particularly Film Noir) and beer. Naked City is a great 1948 Film Noir directed by Jules Dassin and starring Barry Fitzgerald and Howard Duff. I also name most of my beers after films, film references or classic film stars. When I brew with my partner, we've been brewing under the name "Pastime Brewing Company" incorporating our mutual love for Baseball. (He is also the great grandson of Hall of Famer Earl Averill and wanted to pay tribute to him.) It is our Double Header Imperial IPA that is advancing to round 2 in the NHC.
5979-NakedCityLogoAlternate.jpg
5979-PastimeTapTopper.jpg

olllllo said:
You're a descendent of Thor?

I'm of Scottish decent. And therefore the possibility of Viking decent, even though that can't be proven. But I've always had a thing about thunderstorms! :rockin:

I have a big white dog - he is usually dirty. That's the family-safe explanation for the name. Then, there is this rap song that has a whole different meaning for 'Dirty Dog' :D

7674-DDBCPurple.jpg

I think my brewbabe might have actually come up with the name.

My first thought name was going to be Outlaw Brewing Company, but a quick google turned up a brewery with that name already. So, after settling on DDBC, I did another search and it was unused as far as the internet was concerned. Then, last week I decided that I ought to grab the domain name, and sure enough, some other homebrewer has dirtydogbrewing.com. DAMN DAMN DAMN!!!

EDIT: Sonuva b*tch. No one is using DDBC.com, but it's been taken by some domain name grabbing company.

When I was brewing my first batch, My dog was endlessly rolling around in the yard having a grand old time. As a result, my first batch of beer was named:
"Roll In The Dirt".

I named my humble little brewery after the ground that it sits on:
"Coosaw Island Brewing Co."

Not real witty but it is unique.

Jester369 said:
EDIT: Sonuva b*tch. No one is using DDBC.com, but it's been taken by some domain name grabbing company.

Check back in a week to ten days, the companies that sample domain names return all the ones that don't have good traffic before they hae to pay for them. There is a good chance the domain will become available again soon.

Ive had heaps of ideas for names but none have stuck except for my name
"Klein Brewing". Ive got a whole page of them written down. if your chasing a name just write down your ideas and go with the one you and your brew drinkers like the best

Im thinking of going with "Money pit brewing". Just for the fact when I think I have everything I need. I find something else I need/want.

ThomasRau said:
Check back in a week to ten days, the companies that sample domain names return all the ones that don't have good traffic before they hae to pay for them. There is a good chance the domain will become available again soon.

Thx - I'll do just that!

Windy Ridge Brewing...... we lost 33 pine trees during hurricane Katrina... several hit my house, my shop / brew-house & my barn, so it was a natural fit.... Windy Ridge! I hope we never have to go through that again.

Yuri_Rage said:
Several hundred gallons...no name...just a tag line:

A social lubricant brought to you by Yuri...

Following logic, we arrive at the obvious, "KY Brewery".

If you have to explain, make up something for the "K" and the "Y" stands for Yuri.
:ban: :tank:

When my first batch came out drinkable, despite my obvious screwups and noobness, the name was born:

luckybastardtitle.jpg

mike

I have been working in Nuclear Power for the last eight years. It was surprising to me how much of my knowledge I cross reference when brewing. I refer to my brewery as "Alpha-T Brewing". Which for nuclear power production is the temperature coefficient of reactivity (what makes nuke plants stable). I like to think of my brews as "inherently stable" as well. Thus Alpha-T.

BadKarma said:
Following logic, we arrive at the obvious, "KY Brewery".

If you have to explain, make up something for the "K" and the "Y" stands for Yuri.
Interesting.

Good K words:
Kick ass
Kamikaze
Kerosene
King
Kinky
Kiss
Knife
Kryptonite
Kung Fu
Knucklehead
Knurled
Kocky (liberties taken)
Killer (personal favorite)

I like it! :rockin:

...except that all my fan mail will go to Kentucky. :cross:

My wife named mine for me. I teach billiards and am a bar manager inside a pool hall. The name was easy for her when she asked me why I called a coin-operated pool table a "bar box." The name and lable were created in a couple of hours. Hasn't changed at all. She even works in graphic design and made the lable up in a couple of minutes (about the time it took me to drink one.)
Barbox Brew.

Pardon me if this seems obvious, but are you all naming businesses and applying for your liquor license to sell your beer, or are you just giving a name to the shed out back where you brew and keep your brew equipment? Are you all actually registering these names with the state as a Doing Business As (DBA) name? Is anyone doing trademark searches first or doesn't it matter (in the case of simply giving a shed a nickname)?

Thalon said:
Pardon me if this seems obvious, but are you all naming businesses and applying for your liquor license to sell your beer, or are you just giving a name to the shed out back where you brew and keep your brew equipment? Are you all actually registering these names with the state as a Doing Business As (DBA) name? Is anyone doing trademark searches first or doesn't it matter (in the case of simply giving a shed a nickname)?

That's a secret.

Most of us are answering the first question you'll get after giving one away.

That's a good beer... what's it called?

Dogtown Brewery came to me very early on. A buddy of mine used to try and get me to open up a Pub with him. I thought that that or Working Dog would be good. Dogs are a HUGE part of my life (Austrailian Cattle Dogs and Border Collies). We also used to live in North Little Rock (across the Arkansas River). Back in the 40’s and 50’s it was called dogtown because people in Little Rock would take their unwanted dogs there to abandon them. It still has a derogatory association to many. But some of us adopted the name to give it a sub-culture/underdog aspect to it.

On a side note a new grill was going to open up in Dogtown and they were going to call it the Dogtown Grill. They changed the name at the last minute. Whimps!

My brewery's called Turkeyfoot Brewery.

The name's significant to me for two reasons. One, Turkeyfoot Creek runs through my family's property in rural NW Ohio. I grew up there and my mom still lives out there in our family home which is an 80 year old farmhouse. One day I may even own the place, who knows. Two, my late father's handle on the CB was Turkeyfoot. Whenever we traveled he always had the CB hooked up so that he could chat with the truckers and find out about traffic and weather conditions. The name's sort of a tribute to him although he didn't have anything to do with brewing. For cryin out loud, he drank OLD MILWAUKEE, LOL. But, I think if he were still around he'd like what I brew. Old Mil was just all he could afford what with raising 6 kids. And while he didn't inspire me to brew I like to think he inspired me to be the man and therefore brewer that I am today.

Not sure if I instantly knew but mine's Old Station Brewing Co. I'm a firefighter/paramedic by trade.

I started kegging pretty early so I never really thought about a brewery name/label design. It might be nice to come up with something and put it on my kegerator though.

orfy said:
I keg but still label the kegs.
PICT0001.jpg

Yeah, I think I'll work on a name/label design. This way if I ever manage to stop drinking my beer long enough to build up more than one or two in the kegerator I won't get confused :p

Several years past my first batch and I still don't bother with a name. Heck, I don't name my beers or label my bottles...a couple letters and a number written with a sharpie on the cap is about as far into it as I go.

i had my brewery name, logo done, and first labels printed when i was still buying brewing equipment, before my first batch. i'm a horror/macabre afficionado. chainsaw brewing just "fit's" me. and the planning, naming, designing process is always the most fun for me in all of my hobbies.

stale said:
I didn't start thinking of a name till I checked into this part of the forum, thinking that the members had a lot of really cool logos and labels. I have JUST enough equip, storage and capabilites for a couple of 5 gallon batches at a time, hence:

Watch going public with that one, because we have 2 of them here in Maryland.

Mr. Mojo Rising said:
I am a huge Doors fan, so it was an easy pick. Lizard King Brewing.

You like the Doors? Gee, I would've never guessed, given your handle.;)

Me, I'm a huge Parrothead. My brewery name is Changes in Latitudes Brewing Co.
One of these days I'm going to actually come up with a logo. If any of you artsy-fartsy computer whizzes are interested in helping in that endeavor, there'd be some reward homebrew in it for ya...........:D

jezter6 said:
Watch going public with that one, because we have 2 of them here in Maryland.

And a sister company in Stuart, FL, south of where I live. However, the sign still says "Grille and Brewery" but they've since stopped selling the brew.....don't believe they ever brewed there, but brought it down from Maryland.

http://www.barebonesflorida.com/

Allan

Taking each of our first name initials, lumping them together and throwing an "ik" on the end, we come up with "MAJik Brewing"

logo

I started out with just using my last name, but after a few batchs switched to Double Mutt Brewing (after my two helpers who just want to eat the bubbling airlock). The nice thing about not being a company is I can rebrand everything in about 5 minutes.

Latest posts

Back