Did these seal correctly?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EddieTheBrewerLADET

Reaction score
First time brew....

Just capped. Slightly crooked...worried they didn't seal and wont carb. A shake upside down shows that its not leaking but Im still worried...

Thoughts?

Eddie

IMG_0204.JPG

IMG_0209.jpg

IMG_0213.jpg

IMG_0215.jpg

Hahahaha no these pictures got flipped upside down for some reason. These bottles are all from Sierra Nevada, Lagunitas, Firestone, etc. All the stubby ones. I used the capper and caps that came with my Northern Brewer kit. Some seem perfectly flush while others are slightly SLIGHTLY at an angle. None of them leak, but isn't it still possible that the CO2 could leak?

Also..I did end up wasting like 10 caps during the process. Some of them wouldn't crimp down and got stuck inside the capper. Twice I literally broke the top off the bottle hahahaha. Whats going on? Would better pictures help?

I think it may be time for a new capper or some repair. It looks like they crimped on though. At this point all you can do is pop one open in a couple weeks and find out.

I bottled 2 batches a couple of weeks ago and had this happen. I figured it was due to user error with the wing capper. I was paranoid and recapped 2 cases. I'm interested to hear what everyone thinks.

Also..I did end up wasting like 10 caps during the process. Some of them wouldn't crimp down and got stuck inside the capper. Twice I literally broke the top off the bottle hahahaha.

The first capper I had was one of the ones that come with the kits and I did the same thing. Broke bottles.

I think you should send me six for scientific verification of carbonation level.

Pm me for shipping info.

Awaiting your response,
Watermelon
Strategic Carbonation Analysis

P.s. yeah your fine, no drippy, no worry imho.

Last edited:
You should be fine. The wing capper is a PITA to use and I've wasted a lot of caps too when I first started bottling :mug:

I think those look fine. I've never had a bottle fail to carbonate as long as it passed the "no beer leaking when upside down" test. You could put a balloon on some of them and if it inflates over time, then you do have a CO2 leak.

Back