Did the yeast stop?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bondybrew

Reaction score
Did the yeast stop?
We're brewing an english bitter.

We pitched the yeast friday afternoon and it stopped (bubbles stopped/no noticeable activity) yesterday or today.

Should we re-pitch yeast?

I'm wondering if this could be due to temperature fluctuations. We put it in a small bathroom by the garage door...so if the bathroom door is open than it can get cold air.

We did a biab all-grain method with following this sort of method, except we did it on the propane grill burner https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/easy-stovetop-all-grain-brewing-pics-90132/

We only did 3 gallons, I used brew target to scale the recipe.

Pale Malt (2 Row) US Grain 4.020 lb Yes No 79% 2 L
Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L Grain 4.020 oz Yes No 74% 60 L
Cara-Pils/Dextrine Grain 4.800 oz Yes No 72% 2 L

Hops
Yakima Golding 4.5% 1.000 oz Boil 1.000 hr Pellet
Golding 4.5% 0.500 oz Boil 15.000 min Pellet

Irish Moss Fining Boil 1.000 tsp 10.000 min

Safale S-04 Ale Dry 0.388 oz Primary

Is the krausen still on top, or tiny bubbles all over the surface? I would shake it up a bit and rouse the yeast first. How vast are the temperature differences?

Yes krausen or cakey substance on the bottom.

I think there are tiny bubbles on the top.

The temp changes could possibly be 10-20 degrees. He had the heat on in that bathroom at times/its been about 50 degrees and colder at night, with ppl coming in and out that door.

You can not rely on the airlock for active fermentation. If there are still little bubbles in it then I would say you are okay. I would move to a more temp friendly location however and your fermentation should start up again. Pitching more yeast does not hurt anything, just a pain if you have to go get it.

1. don't rely on airlock
2. DO NOT SHAKE IT!
3. get a hydrometer...its the ONLY way to test beer.
4. if you only pitched 3 days ago you still have 5 days before you should mess with it...period. even then, you should just leave it alone in primary 3-4 weeks, then bottle it.

Where's Revvy?

+1 to malkore. The only thing I would add is that it's not at all out of the question that the yeast could be done with the attenuation phase aleady -- especially with S-04 as the yeast, which is generally a fast fermenter. This may all be perfectly normal. As malkore said, though, leave it alone for now either way, and get a hydrometer reading.

A repost from something similiar a while back
"Here's a little story for you, hope it puts some fears aside.
I brewed a batch last week monday. Threw some yeast fuel in there, pitched and stored the wort around 0100. Next day comes, I check in the afternoon, no airlock activity. Odd but no worries, my last batch was bubbling furiously by this point but I figure different yeast different times etc. Let it ride.
Check the next night (Wed), still nothing. Start to get a little bit worried, hit up HBT chat some fermentation threads. Still under 72 hours...so let it ride.
Thurs comes and still nothing. Cue the bit of a freak out. Dump it? Repitch? Sacrifice a goat to the beer gods? Just for good measure I shake up the bucket to aerate the wort and hope to jumpstart what may be a lagging yeast.
Come home Thurs night, still nothing. Screw it I say, pop off my airlock, draw some wort out to check the gravity after all of 3 days.
Starting Gravity 1.044. Gravity when I checked? 1.012. AHS recommends an FG of 1.010.
Well color me surprised. No airlock activity, 3 days in the primary and already almost to the FG.
You may have a leak and the CO2 is escaping or it may just not be bubbling.
Moral of the story; CHECK THE GRAVITY!
RDWHAHB "

+1 Malkore and Becks

OP- the yeast has probably done most of the fermentation (sugar to alcohol) but it has other work to do, so let it do it. It is possible after 48-72 hours for most of the fermenentation to complete, and now for 3 weeks is 'yeast clean up' A Hydrometer test is the only way to tell if it is done converting.

As others have said, just let the yeast do their job for at least another week or two before you take a gravity reading then wait for 3 more days to take another reading. I would move it to a more stable temperature controlled room though so the yeast will be less stressed and produce a better tasting beer.

Report back what the final gravity readings are so we can compare to your original reading.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was done, but it's better to leave it anyway. I just bottled my Big Honkin' Stout. Sometime between 2 and 6 weeks it dropped from 1.032 to 1.022 with no visible activity

Back