Did my yeast reactivate?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hopetobrewgr8

Reaction score
Here are some pics of my newest batch in the secondary. I began fermentation at an OG of 1.076, and when I transferred for dry hopping it was at 1.016. I'm 4 days into the dry hopping period, and I've been noticing this growing on top. It almost looks like the yeast has gathered up top, but I'm afraid this may be my first infection. I don't see how it could be because I was sitting at right around 8% ABV, but does anyone have any insight on this?

20140804_082725.jpg

20140804_082733.jpg

20140804_220807.jpg

Is it the little greenish bits around the carboy that's got you concerned?
Or the big globs?

I'd bet the former came from the hops, and the latter looks like congealed break.

I don't see anything that suggests "pellicle" yet.

Remain calm and carry on...

Cheers! :mug:

You can still get contamination at 8%, its just slower. However, your fermentation shows little evidence of that. As mentioned, it looks like break or some transferred yeast. Any other reason to be concerned? Off-aromas? Tartness?

The green powdery stuff is almost definitely hops. Hops will cause other yeast/proteins to coagulate.

Nothing to see here. I say roll on...

Looks like a premature or messy transfer has resulted in some yeast in the secondary that is floating to the top.

The big globs had me worried, but I don't smell any off aromas. I noticed I can't smell any hops when the airlock bubbles, and I was disappointed.

So, do you think tomorrow would be a good time to add my second batch of dry hops?

If this is due to the unwitting transfer of the yeast, would more continue to float to the top? If so, should I expect it to resink?

20140805_220752.jpg

20140805_220810.jpg

Back